New Bird Pictures

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

New Bird Pictures

Post by oldcoot »

OC has been telling you how much the birds love Peanut
butter spred out on his deck rail. Here are two good examples. (Still having trouble making sharp pictures. Sure hope my Camera is not acting uguly again.....OC
Attachments
NOSE DEEP- PB.jpg
DXowny-PB.jpg
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
oldcoot

Nextr three days are supposed to be bright and sunny

Post by oldcoot »

And since he is nosw caugh up on the Old E-Maiul, he'll work real hard to see if he can do any better...

John
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi John!!

Wow, I really do need to try that peanut butter. I am not sure I have a spot like that to put it.....:hmm: I will have to try and figure out something.....

I love that second shot.,,....that bird has his beak right in it....

Thanks for sharing!!! :D
hostapazoola

Post by hostapazoola »

What cute photos John! Thanks for sharing! :D
~Lori~

Walk towards the sunshine,
and the shadows will fall behind you.
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

:P I agree... cute shots OC! I never thought about trying peanut butter but that's a great idea! I know some people mix seeds in with it.
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
Snow

Post by Snow »

I sometimes will spread peanut butter on tree trunks - sometimes you can find nice little cavities where you can pack it in. The squirrels love it - but so do the birds. No need to mix in seeds - they love the straight peanut butter, and they do not choke on it :wink:
~*Snow*~
oldcoot

Thanks everbody

Post by oldcoot »

The only birds I have seen NOT eat the peanut butter are the Doves, but they sure do like safflower seed...

Was hoping for some sun today, but still very cloudy. This morning the fog was so bad, I could not even SEE the deck rail through my window...Maybe tomorrow. Still supposed to hit 60* again today and all week. This scares me. Fortunately all my Liliums are still asleep, but the Iris are putting on new folliage. In the Iris bed at the side of the house, looks like I just might have some pretty ones........

Thanks again. that Old Coot named John happy to be back among his Hallson Family.......
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

My DH knew that birds liked Peanut butter, but I didn't! He also said that people roll seeds in it and put it out for the birds. I would have never thought of just spreading it out on the deck rail for them. Cute pics, OC, and it sure is good having you home and back online posting your wildlife pics. We all missed you. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
oldcoot

Thanks everybody !!

Post by oldcoot »

Carolina Wrens and Downy's like chopped Walnuts or Rasins in it too. Since OC put some out after coming back from the hospital, he has a Downy visit him every day between One PM and Two. Can almost set his watch by it. Then the Chicadees, don't know how many he has ,but they come every 2 min...

I believe OC is FINALLY back to normal. Gained all his weight back, all signs of congestion gone and OFF PREDNISONE.

So since I can't go out in he yard, I'll be spending more time behind the camera. Glad you like my pictures..

Thatg Old Coot named John
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Wonderful to hear you're doing so well OC!

Love the pics of your little friends! I haven't tried the "peanut butter" yet....but all of you are making me realize THIS is a good way to use up that old stuff that I used to reserve for the mouse traps!

Thanks for the neat ideas......p :wink:
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

Great pics OC....
Real glad to have ya back on posting pics of your wild critters for us :D
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

OC great pics as always. :-)

U just take the peanut butter from the jar and just smear it on the railing?

Do goldfinches like it? I think I only have goldfinches at the feeders. I don't have any water around for them to drink, only snow; so they won't choke will they? It is still below zero here, so it wouldn't be that soft. :lol:

I have suet outside, 3 cakes, but no one seems to be eating it either, so that is why I'm wondering if the goldfinches would eat the peanut butter.

Debbie

oldcoot

That's what OC does

Post by oldcoot »

:bd: :bd: Over time OC has found the crunchy to be better than the plain. It is thicker, not as oily and they like it too. Haven't seen but ONE Gold Finch all spring. And he only flew in, ttok a peck of beanut butterf and took off before OC could take a Picture. OC has two Finch feeders up, but only Red Headed House FInches on Them. Every one here is daying they don't have NAAR as many birds as they did last year..Some of the Birders seem to think the hurricanes may have killed a lot of them these last two years, during their migration South. Also it seems the West Nile Virusa has hit them pretty hard according to folks who examine dead Birds to see why they died.....OC
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Great pics John! Keep em comming!
oldcoot

OC good to go now - Today's Pictures

Post by oldcoot »

Do Enjoy...............OC
Attachments
CHICKADEE - BP=2 (2).JPG
C arolina Wren-03-06-OC.jpg
C arolina Wren-03-06-OC.jpg (24.49 KiB) Viewed 2529 times
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Well enjoyed, I did!! Thanks for sharing Coot!! :P
Nathalie23

Post by Nathalie23 »

Wow wow wow!!! This is an awesome picture!
Nathalie

I usually speak french so sorry for my mistakes in english
Nathalie23 Hosta List
Snow

Post by Snow »

Great!
~*Snow*~
oldcoot

More pix

Post by oldcoot »

:-? :-? :-? Sorry OC originally made a mistake with the ID on this one. Got informed when he posted it on Birds Pix that is was NOT a female house finch, but instead a female Purple Finch.

Alway try to keep things straight..OC
Attachments
F-Purple Finch.jpg
oldcoot

Spring Gold Finch

Post by oldcoot »

:D :D hiled OC was bifrding Saurday, this pretty little Gold Finch decided to gtrfy some of OC's peanugt butter..

Do please enjoy a SMILINBG OC
Attachments
Gold Finch -MED.jpg
New Topic Post Reply