Coopers Hawk?

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Coopers Hawk?

Post by JaneG »

Okay, I need all you bird people to help me identify this guy.

We put a 6-foot high net fence around our garden to keep the deer out. It works well and the fence is nearly invisible. But a couple weeks ago a this big bird was swooping down, talons extended, to attack something in or around the garden. I guess he couldn't see the fence and his feet caught the top of it and got all tangled up. He was hanging upside-down by his feet from the fence.

DH put on some leather gloves and gently held him upright while I got the scissors and slowly snipped away at the fine mesh netting which he had managed to get incredibly tangled around his claws. He was such a gentle sweetheart while we worked at it. He sat there patiently, never pecked or struggled, just let us do what we needed to do. Once his feet were freed he still let DH continue holding him and talk to him softly while I went to get the camera. Here are some close-up pictures of him. I should have gotten a picture where you could see him with his wings folded down, but I didn't think of it at the time. After we took the pictures, we let him go and flew into a nearby tree where he sat for a short time before flying away again.

I think it was a Coopers hawk, based on a little internet research. But I'm not a bird expert so if anyone has suggestions? Oh, and his eyes were every bit as red-orange as they appear in the pictures.
Attachments
Pretty wings, huh?
Pretty wings, huh?
He looks kind of agressive here, but that's due to his curved beak and orange eyes making him look mean.  He was really surprising mild-mannered.
He looks kind of agressive here, but that's due to his curved beak and orange eyes making him look mean. He was really surprising mild-mannered.
Getting ready to release . . .
Getting ready to release . . .
And off he flies!!
And off he flies!!
Last edited by JaneG on Nov 04, 2010 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Kas

Re: Coopers Hawk?

Post by Kas »

Wow! That is just awesome! What an experience for you all. I can't believe he let you free him without a struggle. Amazing!
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I agree - that is really awesome! At first I thought you must have called a bird handler to help free him :wow:

From looking at picture on the internet it sure looks like it could be a cooper's hawk. The one we see around here the most is the red tailed hawk, but I've never had one THIS close!

Way to go :D
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

That was really cool! Glad to were able to save him before he got too hurt!
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

I agree a Coopers hawk. I am thinking he may have been so easy to handle because he was once in captivity. Not sure about your state, but in OK certain breeds of hawks including the red tailed are allowed to be taken at a very young age and raised in captivity. They must be released at one or two years of age though, so it could be yours was one that was captured and raised, then released. Regardless a wonderful experience with a truly magnificent bird!

Ginger
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

Wow, JaneG, that's just awesome. I'm glad you were both there to save him! That's the problem with netting -- once in a great while a bird does get tangled up in it.

I'm looking in my bird ID book... probably a juvenile Cooper's Hawk or Sharp-shinned Hawk. According to the book it depends on size, shape at tail tip, and undertail coverts color.

Very cool!
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

I am leaning more towards Sharp-shinned. It seems to have a shorter tail and seems realatively small over all. But I have been known to be wrong!! :-? But either way a very cool experience and so happy you and your DH had the ability and nerve to fee the bird. And photos to boot!

Congrats to a job well done! :beer:
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Thanks! After looking on the web I was leaning towards Coopers and Sharp-Shinned also. I was leaning towards Coopers because I got a good look at his legs while I was down there cutting away the net and he didn't seem to have the extra-long legs of the Sharp-Shinned. But then again, since this was my first hawk I have nothing to compare it to!

Thanks for confirming my suspicions that it's probably one of the two.

I was kicking myself afterwards for not taking a few better pictures of him from all angles and with his wings closed. That would have made identification a lot easier. But at the time I was so excited I wasn't thinking clearly! :roll:
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
New Topic Post Reply