A Pileated Woodpecker in Central NY!

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

A Pileated Woodpecker in Central NY!

Post by party_music50 »

Wow. I cannot believe that I noticed this guy through the window from a place where I couldn't hear his knocking. We commonly see Downy Woodpeckers and the occasional Hairy Woodpecker, but I'd never seen anything this large (or red. lol!), so I grabbed the camera! He's in a neighbor's birch tree, and I took the photo from about 30-35 yards away, but I think it's a great shot! :)

According to National Geographic Field Guide to Birds of N. America:
it's a male Pileated Woodpecker, and the largest woodpecker in North America (16.5"). They prefer dense mature forest, and are uncommon outside the southeast! How cool! I'm in central NY... not too far from the Adirondack Mountains, so I guess that's where he came from....

~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Re: A Pileated Woodpecker in Central NY!

Post by Ginger »

I don't see a picture :hmm:
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

That's quite a hole he has going. Did he keep at it?
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

That is a great shot!! :beer: They do grab your attention for sure. No matter how many times I have seen one I always stop and watch when one shows up in the back yard.

They actually can be found in most of the eatern half of the country and sections of the northwest. They do require large areas per bird and like large tracks of woods. They are very commom were I live and seen fairly often and heard a lot!! lol We have a female visiting right now. She has come the last 3 days.

There is a large population that lives in Turkey Run State Park in west central Indiana. They can be seen hanging a round the lodge there.
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

Ginger, I don't know why you don't see the photo. :(

Tigger, I agree that it's quite a hole! I was snapping photos and suspect that I was beginning to annoy him so he stopped chopping and flew up into a very large pine tree that's near the birch. I lost track of him at that point. :roll:

Nanny, that is so cool! I can imagine that a large group of these birds would really attract attention! I'll be watching to see if any more come around here.
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

We had one, or a pair, not sure....come thru last spring. First time ever here in Eastern Kansas.

Amazing! As you say...you can hear them excavating from a long way.

Didn't see them this year....
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
New Topic Post Reply