Another Hawk...Coopers

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

steg
USDA Zone: 5

Another Hawk...Coopers

Post by steg »

Guessing coopers hawk or sharp-shined. Still fun to see in the backyard.
Attachments
Hawk_coopers.jpg
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
ThisIsMelissa
USDA Zone: 4a

Re: Another Hawk...Coopers

Post by ThisIsMelissa »

We have (what I believe to be) Coopers Hawks that nest 2 doors down--looks different than the one you have. Last year, I saw 3 of them sitting atop our wooden swingset scoping out my garden. I'm guessing they were looking for mice, baby rabbits & squirrels... the more they take, the fewer curse words I say!

Problem is, we're considering getting a couple toy-size dogs (just born overnight!) and I'm afraid the hawks will swoop and take 'em. One of a couple reasons I'm re-thinking the prospect of adopting the puppies.

Melissa's Hosta Lists
My gardening blog

PS: Hubby and I are hoping to ADOPT & we need your help.
If you hear of someone considering placing a baby for adoption, please refer them to us: Our Adoption Blog
govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Post by govgirl75 »

We have lived in this house for 31 years and I have never seen so many raptors as in the last two summers. They are coming right up to our house, sitting on the pool railing, and are just more visible than ever before. I am not sure if it is because the ground game is being decimated by the coyotes, so the hawks are coming into the developments or if they are more successful in raising young to maturity.
That being said, I have 3 chihuahuas and I do worry about them and the hawks and coyotes. I have bells on their collars and dress them in funny looking sweaters in the winter, in hopes they do not look so much like prey. Also, in the winter, they do not venture far from the deck and patio because they do not do well in snow and hate the cold. We do try to keep an eye on them from dusk to dawn year around because of the coyotes. It is a risk to have toy dogs, but they are such a joy.
Gloria
ThisIsMelissa
USDA Zone: 4a

Post by ThisIsMelissa »

govgirl75 wrote:We have lived in this house for 31 years and I have never seen so many raptors as in the last two summers. They are coming right up to our house, sitting on the pool railing, and are just more visible than ever before. I am not sure if it is because the ground game is being decimated by the coyotes, so the hawks are coming into the developments or if they are more successful in raising young to maturity.
That being said, I have 3 chihuahuas and I do worry about them and the hawks and coyotes. I have bells on their collars and dress them in funny looking sweaters in the winter, in hopes they do not look so much like prey. Also, in the winter, they do not venture far from the deck and patio because they do not do well in snow and hate the cold. We do try to keep an eye on them from dusk to dawn year around because of the coyotes. It is a risk to have toy dogs, but they are such a joy.
Gloria
Gloria, we've been here for 5 years and it seemed 2009 was the first year we saw them. We were eating breakfast in the dinette and looking outside when 2 hawks landed on the deck railing just 12-15' from us, looking us square in the eye thru the sliding glass door. That summer, we saw a coyote, but other than that, we've not had any predators in the area.

The puppies we're looking at are Papillons. Right now, they're just 8 oz and at birth and fully grown, they're 4-5 lbs, kinda like a teacup yorkie. So, I know that these raptors could steal 'em if left unattended. And really, it's at the puppy stage I'm most worried (this summer). I've not had a dog for almost 30 years, but my 4 year old has been begging. So, we'll see.
Melissa's Hosta Lists
My gardening blog

PS: Hubby and I are hoping to ADOPT & we need your help.
If you hear of someone considering placing a baby for adoption, please refer them to us: Our Adoption Blog
New Topic Post Reply