secret daylily trade anyone?

Use this forum to discuss Hemerocallis (daylilies).

Moderators: Chris_W, John

bobbo

Post by bobbo »

I dug mine this morning, a good thing too, I worked in cleaning up 2 beds with that project. While I was at it I got the ones ready for my wife AmeliaCs trade. They will go out as soon as the post lady gets back from lunch.

One more thing, I sent a note in both boxes but there will be 1 daylily in each that hasn't got a label, it is Strutters Ball.

Amelia wanted us to be generous, I just hope that our traders get something they didn't already have. :D
When one attempts to create a scene and a backdrop of beauty, gardeners are fortunate to have a willing helper,God.
Even their breath is recycled into the whole.....
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

LucyGoose just told me that the shipping deadline is today. :eek: I missed the edited post. :o

My package will be going out late. :(
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
bobbo

Post by bobbo »

Bobbos and AmeliaCs are on their way to points slightly northwest and northeast of Kentucky :D
When one attempts to create a scene and a backdrop of beauty, gardeners are fortunate to have a willing helper,God.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Well, I am going to try to get it done today......(Had a dentist appointment...good excuse, right? 8-) ) I have one more to do yet.....if not in the mail today, for sure tomorrow...

Hey, the one I have left to do I really, really want to send......BUT it is blooming and has buds....It's a mini......do you think I can still do it? I mean, if I wrap the scapes loosely, do you think it would continue to bloom for my trader?

Going back outside to now wrap, and hopfully I will get an answer about the blooming one. :D
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Well, I called our fearless leader to ask about cutting them back.....Yep, they do better he says....So, I am cutting them back....but man, that one blooming..... :???:
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

LG, I think if the scapes don't get broken or the buds knocked off they should continue to bloom. I have bought daylilies in bloom and in bud at The Daylily Farm and they have bloomed for me. :D
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Thanks Pat.....but I sent the fans without the buds... I just could not cut it off..:( that way, I didn't have to have a seperate box......everything I am sending fits into one)....oh well.....she will see it next year.... :D

I am getting all excited now... :cool: .....I can't wait....Going to the post office in like an hour.....

Thanks again, Pat!
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Uh Oh :o

Was I supposed to cut all the leaves off first? I just packed them up in damp paper towels and plastic, then boxed them up they way I do with hostas. :hmm:

If mine do not arrive in good condition, I can send a replacement batch.... :oops:

Alexa - who is now worring :(
jay dee

secret trade

Post by jay dee »

It would have been better to cut the foliage off (cheaper to ship) but it won't hurt the plant. Whoever receives your trade, should cut the foliage back to 6-8".

I know hosta people send hosta with the roots wrapped in plastic, but daylily people do not. In fact, it is better to dig one day and let them air dry for a day or two, wrap the roots lightly in a single sheet of paper and then box up. This time of year with the extreme temps, there is a much less chance of rot developing on or in the plant.

Upon arrival, soak the plant for a few hours (not the crown) plant and water well. Do not water again until you see new growth coming from the middle of the fan. Expect the outer leaves to yellow and eventually pull away - all new growth will come from the inner most part of the fan.

The above info is for people with clay type soil.

jay dee
John

Post by John »

jay dee brings up an interesting point... I know many daylily people send the plants dry/bare root. I myself send them as I would any other perennial, such as hosta-- roots wrapped in a damp paper towel, then root area only covered with plastic wrap. There has been much discussion on this, so I once did an experiment... sent 12 of the same daylily to someone across the country, half of them each technique.

Results: the ones wrapped 'moist' arrived looking great and continued to grow. The ones sent 'dry' looked yellow and terrible, but soon recovered and continued to grow. Ina very short time, there was no difference. I have never seen a rot problem on either end of my trades, but perhaps it is something to watch out for. I do send my bearded iris trades dry though.

Now you have me hoping my trade gets there safely and looking good...if not, I'll also re-send another package.

Would like to hear others experiences with shipping daylilies.

John
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Thanks Jay dee :(

Now I really am worried. I had no idea I was supposed to treat them so differently, I just got the hang of shipping hostas so they arrived as fresh and healthy as possible and thought that daylilies would be the same.

Oh shoot! :cry:

Well, I hope my tradee will let me know if they don't arrive in good shape. I can always send a replacement shipment.

Alexa
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Mine is defiantly in the mail! :D

I shipped mine dry, and cut foliage.....I knew about the dry roots, but wasn't sure about cutting the foliage....That's when I called Chris....(thank God for cell phones...) Any I have ordered, and it's been just two places, they are cut, but I had to make sure....Poor Chris....He is the BEST!! :D

I kinda am kicking myself, cause I thought about asking sooner, but didn't.....now I wished I did....

Is it ME Alexa? :lol: you can tell me....:lol: I'll be sure to let you know how they arrive....Just playing! :D: Whoever gets yours, I would just let them dry and see how they do....I bet they will be fine!! :D :wink:
bobbo

Post by bobbo »

I cut mine back, washed them in bleach, I haven't seen any rust here, and a few weeks back when we were doing some for the club someone in the group said it wasn't even nessesary this time of year , but I did anyway. they are mostly dry wrapped in a sheet of newspaper. I'll never forget what and how Dan Hansen said it, it's a daylily, I'm supposed to be able to dig it up, leave it on my workbench for 2 weeks, throw it out, and it will root itself and start growing again.

I'll take care, but I won't baby them. :lol:
AmeliaC

Post by AmeliaC »

caliloo wrote:Mine went out yesterday too!

Hope my new friend is happy!

Alexa

Your new friend is very Happy. :D :lol:

Amelia
New Topic Post Reply