how late can you plant?

Use this forum to discuss Hemerocallis (daylilies).

Moderators: Chris_W, John

eastwood2007

how late can you plant?

Post by eastwood2007 »

I have 3 daylilies that I got in July that I haven't gotten planted yet. Would I be better to go ahead and get them in the ground, or winter them over in their pots in the greenhouse? Never had daylilies before...
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Just plant them... they forgive everything :wink:
- But like to have space for their roots :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
John

Post by John »

I agree, plant them in the ground.
DryGulch

Plant 'em!

Post by DryGulch »

I had an utility company dig up and throw in a heap about 100 of my daylilies the day before the ground froze here in central WI two years ago. I didn't think they were going to get to my property that year because they were so far behind, but they made a mad dash the last few days working until 9 PM and in the freezing rain.

I came home at 5 PM and furiously replanted all the daylilies. The next day the ground had frozen solid. The next year they were pretty wimpy and only 5% bloomed. They all did survive. They had been unbelieveably gorgeous the summer before.

Now after three years of summer drought and 2 years in place they have bloom approaching 75% of their spectacular year.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Oh, how sad, DryGulch! I guess it shows their aptitude toward hardiness, but that is sure are hard way to learn about it!

I'm certain they didn't handle them with much care when uprooting them, either!
Charla
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

I'd be furious! Did you have any recourse for that...calling their supervisors for a good chewing out?
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I agree.....plant them.......I just about half an hour ago dug up a lily that I had been wanting to give an uncle....he was here today, so I dug......It will be fine..... :D
Ed_B
USDA Zone: 4b

Post by Ed_B »

I'd keep them potted in the greenhouse until spring if they were mine.
I do not transplant anything here after September 1st
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Ed, would it be best if I let them go dormant for a few months like I do the hostas before I move them to the greenhouse?
Charla
Ed_B

Post by Ed_B »

Yes, I would let the tops freeze back.
Here after they freeze back I move them to an unheated garage "hovers around freezing" then when the outside daylilies start to emerge in spring, I move them back outside.
I was taught that you needed at least a month before winter to give them a chance to settle in.
Since yours are potted up I would go for the better safe than sorry myself.
notmartha
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by notmartha »

Im still planting them here!! This week should be it for me
Just planted daylilies,foxtail lilies, peonies, strawberries,raspberries and a bunch of trees!

I say plant over GH unless its heated all winter
The ups and downs of temps are hard on plants! :frosty:
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Thanks everyone! :D The greenhouse is heated...most of it doesn't get colder than 40ish overnight and I already have an area that I have sectioned off for the hostas. It stays below 40. I let the hostas go dormant, then in January, or whenever our typical wide temp swings start, I move them into the greenhouse. Since I already am set up I may just do the same with the lilies although we may have a month yet before hard freeze... :roll:
Charla
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Hi Charla and everyone else,

I generally read the hosta forum and run off to other things neglecting to stop by this forum. Recently Ed reminded me it was here :D

I generally plant up to 6 weeks before a freeze is expected. Once the ground has frozen root growth slows down a lot. I've got about 1000 daylilies here so I do a lot of planting!

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
Lat: 42.89N, Lon: 77.28W
Ed_B

Post by Ed_B »

Hey Molly about time you came in here :lol:

Now start posting some of your pic's
Ed
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Hi Ed!,

I'll have to spend some time resizing my photos Ed! I'll work on that next week cause this weekend is all tied up. Hopefully next week won't be as busy :D

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
Ed_B

image resizer

Post by Ed_B »

Hey Molly

If you don't have an easy image resizer like the one in MSN powertoys for XP, or have Vista like I have.

I found a sweet free one called VSO.

Powertoys image sizer, and VSO both work with a right click on any photo to resize that pic, or any group of pic's you want.
The original is not changed a bit either, they both work great for posting here In Hallson's or email attachments.

http://www.vso-software.fr/products/image_resizer/

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/down ... rtoys.mspx
DryGulch

Post by DryGulch »

Just a note to spider... I had been going back and forth with the village...someone of my neighbors had called the village and complained I was creating a swamp! This in the middle of a drought, mind you!

If only! Imagine being able to create a wetlands by planting daylilies! It was a long-drawn out battle with no clear winners, but the daylilies survived.
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

I am so glad I don't have many close neighbors! The few there are mind their own business!!

Ed I have Paint Shop Pro. It does a great job of resizing images. I just am swamped with stuff I'm doing and find it hard to get time for some things. Right now I should be downstairs repotting some that are ready to move from their plugs! I'm trying to figure out a way to put more plants in the space too. All my benches are now full of gallon pots and there are about 200 babies that will need to move into gallon pots in the next month or so. I still have about 500 seeds to plant and nowhere to put them. In January I will have to get them started. If I wait till Spring they will never bloom in the time frame I need.

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
New Topic Post Reply