Virus?

Use this forum to discuss Hemerocallis (daylilies).

Moderators: Chris_W, John

DryGulch

Virus?

Post by DryGulch »

Is there a virus that visibly attacks only the flower on daylilies? It gives the bloom a mottled look very much like the virused toad lily blooms have. IT doesn;t seemto affect the leaves, or at this point, plant vigor.

Anybody seen or heard of anything like that?
Ed_B
USDA Zone: 4b

Post by Ed_B »

Could it be Thrip damage? I see it here every so often
mottled, streaks, blothches, on blooms,
I usualy pick off bloom & throw it away.

I really don't know if there is much you can do about it, maybe somebody else knows.
Ed
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

I've seen this damage on occasion also - sort of mottled, splotched, and deformed - and was also told that it was thrips or other insects that can cause this. Was also told by a daylily grower that it can be weather related and will often show during dry weather. Then certain cultivars are more susceptible than others. If the damage is really bad it is recommended to spray with insecticidal soap.

Chris
John

Post by John »

Probably thrips, and damage is most apparent on dark reds and purples. Don't know what to do about it though...
DryGulch

Post by DryGulch »

Never thought of thrips, they're nearly invisible, except for the damage they do! Later blooms have been normal, so with that dry spell we had, maybe. I guess I'll keep an eye on it rather than summararily ripping them out.
Ed_B
USDA Zone: 4b

Post by Ed_B »

Don't rip, they will probably be OK next year
hagranger

Re: Virus?

Post by hagranger »

I will sometimes get mottled looking and twisted daylilies on first-year planted daylilies.
Also, I have several daylilies that will get a blotchy look due to rain. Especially if it has rained overnight and the flower is opening ... it's like the rain washes out the color and leaves the flower looking a bit "wonky" ...
Helen
A day without laughter AND gardening is a day wasted ... oh ... and be kind to your children ... they will choose your nursing home!
New Topic Post Reply