What is this kind of marking in the eye area called?

Use this forum to discuss Hemerocallis (daylilies).

Moderators: Chris_W, John

caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

What is this kind of marking in the eye area called?

Post by caliloo »

Chinese Cloisonne has the most incredible multi-colored eye I think I have ever seen. I need to find this one and mroe like it, but I don't know what term to look for....

Jaydee or someone can you help? I am well on my way to the poor house already, so I might as well take those last few steps.....
:lol:

Alexa

http://db.tinkersgardens.com/images/?fi ... 0CLOISONNE
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

isn't that a watermark? :roll: Stitched eye?
jay dee

eye

Post by jay dee »

It's just an eye Caliloo. Many of the newer intros are now showing more of this type variation but it is still an eye. Stamile has named his newest intros with this type variation as "butterfly" but they have been around for years. Also check out the eye on PAPER BUTTERFLY - same type.

I have CC and love it but it is not a fast increaser and I don't care for the way the petals/sepals don't open very well but I won't get rid of it either - lol!

jay dee
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Just *an eye*?? :roll: Shoot, here I thought maybe I knew something...:lol:

edited because I can't spell... :roll:
Last edited by LucyGoose on Mar 11, 2006 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jay dee

eye

Post by jay dee »

Lucy you can call it anything you want to call it - goodness knows the big time hybridizers are all coming up with new names to describe them. Personally I like "stitched" - you go girl!

A watermark is a lighter "eye" than the petal color while the eye is a contrasting darker color.

jay dee
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:lol: ....:beer:
caliloo

Post by caliloo »

Thanks for the info.

It is disappointing that it is slow to increase, but I have lots more time than $$$ right now! :lol:

PAPER BUTTERFLY is neat, but what I really like about CC is that tiny strip of dark purple outside the pale lavender. Just stunning!

If you think of any others that may have a similar look, please let me know. Especially if they are good growers!

Thanks again

Alexa
- Henry D. Thoreau
jay dee

eye

Post by jay dee »

caliloo - Morss specializes in this type eye and has so many you will need a drool bib.

Two that I have are TREMOR, Stamile and FACES OF A CLOWN, Salter but the eye zone is smaller and I love both of them, they grow like weeds but my favorite thing about them is they are big and very flat when open. Liz Salter also has a gazillion (that means MANY) with complicated eyes showing various shades of color. Here is a picture of MORRIE OTTE which is an older cultivar.
The color of the petals is not that pink but more lavender but you can see the complex eye.

jay dee
caliloo

Post by caliloo »

Thanks - I will start looking for them!

Alexa
- Henry D. Thoreau
Liselotte

Morrie Otte

Post by Liselotte »

jay dee, Morrie Otte is just beautiful! :cool:
i received that plant from a friend last spring. It bloomed but looked so different!
I hope you don't mind, copied your picture to print out and compare it with my MO next year. Just hope I have the real thing! Thanks!
jay dee

eye

Post by jay dee »

Please don't judge the color of my photo as being true to color - IT IS WAAAAAAY TOO PINK - MO is a lavender with the various shades of lavender etched type eye. It IS gorgeous but my color is off. I was just trying to show the different shades in the eye.

Next year when your's blooms, take a pic and I can see if it is the true one. It sure is a cutie in person.

jay dee
Liselotte

Morrie

Post by Liselotte »

Thanks jay dee, but I can dream, can't I :lol: :lol:
Will take a picture if it survived this horrible winter of all
european winters :bd:
dian57

Post by dian57 »

Caliloo,
Take a look at Finding Blue from Stamile at this post. It's about the 9th reply down, under the motorcycle picture. Stunning.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load ... 759.html?9
Becoming a grandmother is wonderful. One moment you're just a mother. The next you are all-wise and prehistoric. ~Pam Brown
New Topic Post Reply