Stems with fans growing

Use this forum to discuss Hemerocallis (daylilies).

Moderators: Chris_W, John

Carol W
USDA Zone: 4-5

Stems with fans growing

Post by Carol W »

On 2 different daylily stems while I was collecting seeds today I found a baby daylily growing. One looks to be a single fan whereas the other looks like there is 3 fans. Photos included.

What should I do with these? Plant them in the ground now or in a pot? If a pot can I grow them inside over the winter?
Attachments
IMG_2874.JPG
IMG_2914.JPG
IMG_2914.JPG (52.57 KiB) Viewed 1123 times
Carol
Nathalie23

Re: Stems with fans growing

Post by Nathalie23 »

This is the first time I have this too!!!

I was wondering if it's common.

I was thinking planting them directly in the soil.
Nathalie

I usually speak french so sorry for my mistakes in english
Nathalie23 Hosta List
notmartha
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by notmartha »

yes its common, its called proliferation and you can root them in water and then plant them
i just stuck mine in the ground with about a inch of the stems in the dirt. its the notmartha way
I put them in the shaded damp ground before it rained for days!!! if they make it great if they dont-oh well!
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

They are called proliferations. I have never found any in my garden but here is an article about what to do with them.

http://www.gracegardens.com/ggprolif.htm
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I love when I get these.....I do rooting compound on them and plant......you never have found any Pat? Awwww......keep looking.....you have to get one...... 8-)
Carol W
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by Carol W »

Thanks everyone you are the best, this is the first time I've seen or maybe noticed this growing on one of the daylilies. Really surprised me, first thought was maybe a seed had fallen on one of the leaf thingy that grows out of the stem...then I noticed it was attacted to the stem! The one in the second picture (smallest one) has roots. I took one of those Fiber Grow pellets, soaked it and stuck the small one in it, maybe I should put some rooting hormon on it anyway, it's not like it's really been planted. I might just go ahead and let the smaller one grow inside during the winter. But I'll put the larger one in the ground, it's one of those old fashion daylilies also know as double flower ditch lily, can't kill those lol. It's really a little to late here for planting in the ground. We have already had a couple of nights with frost.
Carol
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

I have one on my favorite seedling that I got out of John's seeds...am watching very carefully so I can plant it here soon!
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
New Topic Post Reply