Another Vegetable Casserole - Celery

Share recipes for salads, side dishes, appetizers and more.

Moderator: Chris_W

JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Another Vegetable Casserole - Celery

Post by JaneG »

Since we have some interesting vegetable casseroles posted, I thought I'd post one that my sister-in-law introduced me to. I would never have dreamed of celery casserole, but it's SO good!

CELERY CASSEROLE

Approx 4 c. diced celery
1 can cream of celery soup
1 small can water chestnuts
1/4 c. sliced almonds
2-3 Tbls butter, melted
1 sleeve Ritz crackers

In a casserole dish mix celery, soup, water chestnuts, and almonds. Add a little water, maybe 1/4-1/2 can, if it seems necessary.

Crush Ritz crackers, mix with melted butter til the butter is absorbed. Put on top of first mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes.

NOTE: That's how I do it, it's quick and easy. Most recipes say you should steam, boil or saute the celery first to soften it. I skip this step because; 1) I don't want another dirty pan to wash :roll: ; 2) takes more time :roll: ; 3) I think it tastes just fine my way! :lol: :D

Either way, it's a fresh crunchy casserole and is a good way to use celery when it's on sale, it's a different alternative to mushy vegetable dishes, and it travels well for potlucks.

By the way, USE RITZ, don't substitute saltines or potato chips, or bread crumbs. The buttery salty sweetness of the Ritz really make it special.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:o OMG, another one! :lol: :lol: I love celery.....will have to try it soon with Roxanne's......not together necessarily, but you know...... :lol:

Thanks Jane!! :P
New Topic Post Reply