cookbook

Share recipes for main dishes plus hearty recipes such as soups, stews, chili, and more.

Moderator: Chris_W

newtohosta-no more

cookbook

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I picked up at the Library "The Ultimate Cooking with Four Ingredients" Cookbook. I thought it looked interesting. Well, I've tried two of the chicken recipes and both turned out really well! They were super simple and quite tasty to boot!
Thought I'd share these recipes and recommend the cookbook as well. :lol: I just may have to buy it in the near future, because I don't particularly enjoy cooking, but I sure do love eating. :lol:

Saucy chicken:
5-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 cups thick and chunky salsa
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 TBSPs dijon-style mustard

Place chicken breast in a greased 9X13 inch baking dish.
Combine salsa, brown sugar, and mustard and pour over the chicken.
Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 45 mins.
Serve over rice.

Reuben Chicken:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 slices Swiss cheese
1 15oz. can of sauerkraut, drained
1 8oz. bottle of catalina salad dressing

Arrange chicken in a greased shallow baking pan.
Place cheese slices over chicken.
Cover with sauerkraut and pour the Catalina dressing over all.
Bake covered at 350 degrees for 30 mins. , then uncover and bake another 15 mins.

I only fixed a couple breasts at a time , so I decreased the amts., but both turned out very good!
You just can't beat a simple, but tasty recipe. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Post by Pandora »

Those do look good. I don't mind cooking if I have the time. I really like simple things for rushed times or especially Saturday lunch.

I have so many cookbooks and end up likeing 2-3 recipes in each. I probably ought to copy them down and skinny down some of my drawers.
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

NTH-NM - I was at the book store last weekend and looked through the cooking section for that book, but didn't find it. A girlfriend made these GREAT lemon cookies at Christmas, she said they were from a 4-ingredient cookbook and proceeded to talk about how wonderful the cookbook was. The reuben chicken sounds delish! I'm going to have to look again for the book.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I have made the first one before, but I think it might have had one more ingrediant.....It was on the back of the Pace Picante sause...

That second one sounds really good too.....I'll have to try it....

Thanks Joan!!! :-)
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Thanks, Joan. :D The first one sounds good to me! 8-) It also sounds like a great book.

Jane, they have it at Amazon.com for $16.96. :) You can view some of the pages. I found Lemon Cookies in the index.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
newtohosta-no more

I checked out Amazon too and found Cooking with 3 Ingredients, and Cooking with 5 Ingredients, so I've put all of them on my wish list there. :)
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Cool Patrushka, thanks!! I'll go look at Amazon.
JaneG
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

I own the Four ingredient one, but it doesn't say "ultimate" on it, so it's probably a bit different. You can tell by reading which recipes are gonna be worthy. There's one in mine that made me shudder when I read it:

Hot Dog Stew

Pkg. hot dogs
3-4 cut up potatoes
flour
water

cut up the dogs, cook with potatoes until potatoes are tender, make white sauce out of flour and water. Simmer together, enjoy!! :lol:
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

OMG, Roxanne......Too Funny! :lol:
newtohosta-no more

Ewwwww....that doesn't sound very appetizing, does it? :eek:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Here are 9 very quick and tasty chicken dinners. All you need to add is a starch (rice, etc) a salad and a glass of wine...

Alexa

NINE 30 MINUTE CHICKEN DINNERS
Before cooking, pound each cutlet between sheets of waxed paper until l/4-inch thick. Each recipe serves two.
THE TECHNIQUE:
Dredge one whole chicken breast, skinned, boned, split in half and pounded, in 2 T. flour. * In medium skillet over medium-high heat, cook 1 T. oil and 1 T. butter or margarine until hot and foamy. Add chicken and saute until golden brown on both sides. Add the flavor makers. Cover and simmer until fork-tender, about 10 minutes. Remove chicken to plate and keep warm. Over medium-high heat, boil sauce in skillet rapidly until slightly thickened. Add finishing touches and heat through. Spoon sauce over chicken and add garnishes.
To make Chicken Marsala
Flavor Makers - 3/4 c. sliced mushrooms, 3/4 c. Marsala wine,
Finishing Touch - 2 T. chopped parsley
Garnish - Additional parsley
To make California Chicken
Flavor Makers - 1 c. sliced mushrooms, 3/4 c. dry white wine
Finishing Touch - 1/2 avocado, sliced
Garnish - chopped parsley
To make Chicken Milanese - * Instead of flour, dredge in seasoned breadcrumbs
Flavor Makers - 1 garlic clove, minced; 1/2 c. chicken broth; 1/4 c. white wine
Finishing Touch - 2 T. chopped Parsley
Garnsih - additional Parsley
To make Chicken Picatta
Flavor Makers - 1 garlic clove, minced; 1/2 c. white wine; 2 T. lemon juice
Garnish - Lemon slices
To make Yucatan Chicken
Flavor Makers - 1/2 c. lemon juice; 3 T. raisins; 2 T. canned chopped hot chilies
Finishing Touch - 1 T. chopped fresh cilantro
Garnish - toasted pine nuts
To make Sante Fe Chicken
Flavor Makers - 1/2 c. red wine; 1/4 c. tomato puree; 3/4 tsp. dried oregano; 1/2 tsp. chili powder
Garnish - Lime wedges and Sour Cream
To make Provencal Chicken
Flavor Makers - 1/3 c. chopped onion; 1 tsp. Dried basil, 3/4 c. white wine
Finishing Touch - 1/2 c. chopped, canned tomatoes; 1/4 c. black olives, chopped
Garnish - Chopped parsley or fresh basil
To make Sesame Chicken - Mix 1 egg with 2 T. milk. After dredging in flour, dip chicken into egg mixture, then coat with 3 T. sesame seeds.
Flavor Makers - 3/4 c. chicken broth; 1/2 tsp. soy sauce; 1/2 tsp. grated fresh ginger; 1 garlic clove, minced; 1/4 tsp. sesame oil; 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
Garnish - Chopped parsley or cilantro
To make Chicken with Peppers
Flavor Makers - 1/4 c. diced, cooked ham; 1/4 c. chopped onion; 1/2 c. white wine; 1/4 red pepper, cut into slivers; 1/4 green pepper, cut into slivers; 1/4 tsp. dried thyme leaves
Garnish - Chopped parsley
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

OOPS! I seem to have lost the formatting on that one....

NINE 30 MINUTE CHICKEN DINNERS
Before cooking, pound each cutlet between sheets of waxed paper until l/4-inch thick. Each recipe serves two.

THE TECHNIQUE:
Dredge one whole chicken breast, skinned, boned, split in half and pounded, in 2 T. flour. * In medium skillet over medium-high heat, cook 1 T. oil and 1 T. butter or margarine until hot and foamy. Add chicken and saute until golden brown on both sides. Add the flavor makers. Cover and simmer until fork-tender, about 10 minutes. Remove chicken to plate and keep warm. Over medium-high heat, boil sauce in skillet rapidly until slightly thickened. Add finishing touches and heat through. Spoon sauce over chicken and add garnishes.

To make Chicken Marsala
Flavor Makers - 3/4 c. sliced mushrooms, 3/4 c. Marsala wine,
Finishing Touch - 2 T. chopped parsley
Garnish - Additional parsley

To make California Chicken
Flavor Makers - 1 c. sliced mushrooms, 3/4 c. dry white wine
Finishing Touch - 1/2 avocado, sliced
Garnish - chopped parsley

To make Chicken Milanese - * Instead of flour, dredge in seasoned breadcrumbs
Flavor Makers - 1 garlic clove, minced; 1/2 c. chicken broth; 1/4 c. white wine
Garnsih - additional Parsley

To make Chicken Picatta
Flavor Makers - 1 garlic clove, minced; 1/2 c. white wine; 2 T. lemon juice
Garnish - Lemon slices

To make Yucatan Chicken
Flavor Makers - 1/2 c. lemon juice; 3 T. raisins; 2 T. canned chopped hot chilies
Finishing Touch - 1 T. chopped fresh cilantro
Garnish - toasted pine nuts

To make Sante Fe Chicken
Flavor Makers - 1/2 c. red wine; 1/4 c. tomato puree; 3/4 tsp. dried oregano; 1/2 tsp. chili powder
Garnish - Lime wedges and Sour Cream

To make Provencal Chicken
Flavor Makers - 1/3 c. chopped onion; 1 tsp. Dried basil, 3/4 c. white wine
Finishing Touch - 1/2 c. chopped, canned tomatoes; 1/4 c. black olives, chopped
Garnish - Chopped parsley or fresh basil

To make Sesame Chicken - Mix 1 egg with 2 T. milk. After dredging in flour, dip chicken into egg mixture, then coat with 3 T. sesame seeds.
Flavor Makers - 3/4 c. chicken broth; 1/2 tsp. soy sauce; 1/2 tsp. grated fresh ginger; 1 garlic clove, minced; 1/4 tsp. sesame oil; 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
Garnish - Chopped parsley or cilantro

To make Chicken with Peppers
Flavor Makers - 1/4 c. diced, cooked ham; 1/4 c. chopped onion; 1/2 c. white wine; 1/4 red pepper, cut into slivers; 1/4 green pepper, cut into slivers; 1/4 tsp. dried thyme leaves
Garnish - Chopped parsley
newtohosta-no more

Those sound very appealling! I got kind of excited though with your first post of 9min. chicken meals. :lol: I don't like to be in the kitchen any longer than I have to, but 30 mins. isn't bad either. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Joan, I made your "Saucy Chicken" for dinner tonight! :D Served it with some leftover Mexican Rice and Refried Beans that I had in the freezer and it was a big hit!! We'll fight over the leftover chicken at lunchtime tomorrow!

Caliloo, I'm going to print out your post so I can have all those different combinations handy the next time I'm trying to decide what to do with chicken! Thanks!
JaneG
newtohosta-no more

Glad to hear you all liked that , Jane! Wish I could take credit for coming up with that easy recipe, but I'm just passing it on. :) If I try anymore of the recipes from that book , I'll let you all know how they turned out and what we thought of the finished product. :)
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

wild4flowers

Post by wild4flowers »

I tried the Saucy Chicken the other night, and I'm in love. It is sooooo good. I used Paul Neumans Peach Salsa which is not mild but med. Therefore it made the sauce sweeter, and at the end, because it was looking too soupy, I reduced the sauce alone on top of the stove by boiling it (it didn't take long.).

I will say, however, that my husband is not a fan of anything with a sauce on it. So he tried a small bite and didn't eat any more. (so thats his loss). (he likes meat and potatoes, with the meat cooked until you could wear it on the bottom of your shoes. )

It looks like, if I want more, I'll just make it for myself, but I have learned that over the years with him. (and its only been 9). I have gone from being a gourmet cook to opening a box from the store (he seems to like it better---must be his mother and his last DW cooked that way, and I can't change him). Anyway, thanks Jane for the recipe. CHAR
New Topic Post Reply