Silly question?

Share recipes for main dishes plus hearty recipes such as soups, stews, chili, and more.

Moderator: Chris_W

Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Silly question?

Post by Spider »

I've been looking at a bunch of recipes that refer to a dutch oven. I can't figure out what that is. Is it like the "pasta cooker" you get from the cookware sets?
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

You know, I never really knew myself until you asked this question so I did a google image search on Dutch Oven :D
John

Post by John »

The images show it well. I have a very old hammered heavy metal one, and the inside of the lid has raised patterns to make it 'self-basting'. Wonderful for those one-container meals, or a whole chicken...
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Yep - those photos Chris posted are great examples. I have 2 of them, one traditional black iron one and one Le Cruset enameled one in RED that I love.

If you are going to make things that have an acidic base (tomato sauce, etc) then I would recommend the enameled ones since the acid will pit the iron.

They are wonderful for any braised dishes that cook long and slow.

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

Thanks :D . Shows you how usefull I think you guys are, I think to ask you before the usual internet search. :lol:
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Any time a recipe calls for using a Dutch Oven, I just use the biggest pot I have in my cookware set. I just don't have the room to store every kind of pot, pan, or cooking gadget. Wish I did have a huge pantry with lots of storage space, but I don't. :roll:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Justme

Post by Justme »

A lot of Dutch Oven receipes can also be made in a crock pot. But, Joan is correct, any large preferable heavy pan with a good fitting lid that can go in the oven will work. You can use them on the stove top also.

You can get good off brands at Wal-mart for under $50 as opposed to the french brand that would be over $200 :eek: (have one of the french brand from before they got so expensive, also have a cast iron one).

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
New Topic Post Reply