Italian Beef Sandwiches

Share recipes for main dishes plus hearty recipes such as soups, stews, chili, and more.

Moderator: Chris_W

Trudy

Italian Beef Sandwiches

Post by Trudy »

Italian Beef Sandwichesbeef

3-5 lbs. roast.....beef/pork
Sliced oinion to taste...opptional
2-3 beef bouillon cubes
1 10 oz. jar mild pepperoncini peppers/juice+peppers

Cut roast into several chunks. Put in crock pot or slow cooker. Add rest of ingredients.
Cook for 6-8 hours on low, take meat out of crock pot, at this time if you dont want meat to spicy take out some of the peppers, the peppers you want left in can be chopped smaller if desired. Put meat back into crock pot. Some of the juice maybe taken off at this time also, if to sloppy.

Serve on sour dough French bread with melted cheese, or small buns if desired. The longer it cooks the better it gets.
The meat may need more water or broth added when reheating. Freezes well.

For the sandwiches served at the Hallson tour I used half beef and half pork.

I take the cooked meat out, use two forks to shred the meat. Cut up the peppers really small, and only put the amount back in that you want. I think for the meat this time, I didnt put them all back in either. Wasnt sure how spicy people would want. You can serve the rest of the peppers on the side. if others want to put in more spice.
After this meat has been frozen, when reheating you may need to add some liquid (either broth or water with bouillon).

Enjoy....we make this meat often for parties and picnics, it is so easy!

Trudy <><

"The best thing about the future is that is comes one day at a time!"
Last edited by Trudy on Jul 01, 2008 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hostaaddict

Post by hostaaddict »

This meat was delicious! I was surprised when Trudy sent me the recipe as I really thought it had lots of different spices in it. You put the pepperoncinis in juice and all. I can't wait to fix this.
hostaaddict

Post by hostaaddict »

I made this yesterday and it tasted just like yours, Trudy. Everyone thought it was delicious. The meat mgr at Fareway asked me about the recipe and I pulled the jar of pepperoncinis out of the cart and told him how to make it. I think I forgot to tell him about the beef boullion though :-? . I will have to catch him next time and give him a printed copy. Yummy recipe! thanks!
Trudy

Post by Trudy »

Jackie.........so glad you liked the recipe!

It is so easy to make....I always make extra to freeze, for a quick easy meal.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Trudy, that recipe sounds delicious and so easy. DH (the Italian) makes his the old world method with black pepper and garlic cloves, served with roasted sweet red bell peppers and hot giardineira on the side. Maybe you should call yours Dutch Beef Sandwiches? :lol:

Anyway I had never heard of pepperoncini before you posted but lo and behold, our local market has it on sale this week $1.50 a quart, so I bought some and I'm going to try it your way.
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
Trudy

Post by Trudy »

Great idea Mary Ann, next time I share the recipe with someone, I will call it "Dutch Beef Sandwiches".
Some of the locals do a recipe that is called "Dutch Spiced Beef", it's different than my recipe as there a lot of spices involved.

Only problem is the Dutch dont grow many hot peppers like the Italians do. Are the pepperonci's an Italian pepper?

We had some of the meat on new potatoes out of the garden yesterday. Very good! Of course, there is nothing like new potatoes fresh out of the garden!
Gardentoad
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Gardentoad »

I made it yesterday and loved it. :D

I thought I would freeze the leftovers, but there were no leftovers.
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
pretends_to_garden

Post by pretends_to_garden »

Yum! I have been making this for a few years, only I add an envelope or two of Good Seasons Italian Dressing powder (depending on how many/how big the roasts are.)

We have a family reunion this Sunday, and asked the kids "What should we take?" I kind of had a feeling what they would say. In unison..."Italian Beef!" :lol: :lol: But I must admit, it IS the pepperoncinis that MAKE the flavor!
Always a big hit, and everyone asks for the recipe.

Theresa
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Trudy, this sounds fantastic!

Question please...do you have a particular type of roast you like to use? ie, Chuck, Arm, Round, etc.? What about the pork?

Thanks in advance!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

This sounds REALLY good! It might be the perfect thing to bring to an office "bring a dish" luncheon. I need to remember to try it!

Just wondering what cheese you normally use and how you melt the cheese onto the sandwich... I'm guessing provolone and under a broiler? or do you have some tip or shortcut?
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Thanks for the recipe Trudy. I made this over the weekend and it came out great. I think I messed up though because I couldn't find the 10 oz pepperoncinis and could only find mild banana pepper rings in a 16 oz jar, close enough I'm sure. I'm assuming you use the whole peppers not the rings? The rings just kind of dissolved when I took the meat out to shred. It still tasted great and everyone asked for the recipe. I also threw in a package of good seasons italian dressing.
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
Trudy

Post by Trudy »

Thanks for all the comments on the recipe....it is just so easy to make, and I always make a huge batch so I have enough to freeze for later us.

Charla.....I have use almost every kind of roast, and dont remember what pork roast was use. The time I dint use pork, it was mixed with the beef roast.

I have not melted cheese on the meat, but it does sound good.

On a toast bun, put on the meat, top with any favorite cheese and pop under broiler till bubbly.....delish :P :P :P :P
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

We tried this the other night and it was great! of course, it was made with minor variations. lol! Had a big hunk of beef brisket, so trimmed it well first... didn't have pepperoncini on hand, so used hot pepper rings (unidentified on the jar, but no doubt banana or wax). And, geez, no hard rolls either, but it was fine on the just-purchased Italian bread that turned out to be stale. lol!

Great idea for a casual gathering. Thanks for posting the recipe!
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
New Topic Post Reply