Baking Tip

Post recipes for cakes, cookies, pies, breads, beverages, and more. Also post comments, questions, and misc. here.

Moderator: Chris_W

kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Baking Tip

Post by kHT »

What is the one baking tip that you learned that helps make your baked goodies special?
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Deb118

Post by Deb118 »

When your cookie sheets are shot, and your too cheap to pay the price for GOOD ones.... get the renalds no stick aluminum foil!!! Those babies lift right off :D
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Thanks Deb, I'll have to get me some of that no stick stuff.
One of the things I have learned from an old time baker is that you need to cream your shortening or butter or margarine until it turns a cream color then add your sugar and liquid ingredients which will make adding the powdery ingredients easier if you add slowly.
Also it's best them to put in the refridg. over night before baking. I spend a full day just stirring up batches and batches of cookies and the next day baking. After they are cooled they then go into zip lock baggies and frozen, well that's if folks don't find out I'm baking or I need them for a special event.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
gardenkat

Post by gardenkat »

I do alot of baking, especially cookies. A few things I have learned over the years: 1. Use light colored cookie sheets, the dark ones are too hard to adjust the timing and often burn the cookies. 2. Use a sifter for dry ingredients-flour, baking powder, salt, etc. The finished product is much better when I sift. 3. Use a timer for baking times. It's too easy to get distracted and forgot to take out of the oven in time. 4. Use fresh ingredients. I learned this the hard way when I used some walnuts that had been in the fridge for a few months. They looked & smelled fine, but the cookies had that "refrigerator" taste to them. 5. Have all your ingredients laid out before you start. I guess that one's just common sense but one year I started baking and got halfway through making the recipe when I realized I was out of cream of tartar!
When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.
--John Muir
hostaaddict

Post by hostaaddict »

I love to bake cookies and the number one thing is not to overbake them. I have given recipes to people and then they complain they didn't come out right and they have overbaked them and then they don't come out nice and chewy. Most cookies are done in 11 mins. I use both dark and light cookie sheets, just depends on how many batches I am making. Measure the recipe precisely and level off the top of the cup of flour with the back of a knife. Also leave 2 inches between them on cookie sheet and they should come out perfectly shaped...Oh, and use the right kind of margarine, butter, etc. Be careful of using margarine that is not recommended for baking. I use stick margarine that says on package it is recommended for baking. ...............Jackie
kiendu

Post by kiendu »

I bake all my cookies on a stoneware baking pan... I did purchase it from Pampered Chef, so it was expensive but it darkened really well after a few croissant roll crusts and I've had it for 8 years now. I also use it for frozen french fries too and they are so much better than on a metal pan it's not even comparable. (I use it for pizza, biscuits, pizza rolls, fish sticks, ect ect) If it ever breaks, I will cry and cry. It's on the top five of my favorite kitchen items.
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Stoneware baking sheet? Sounds interesting. Does the grease from the fries or fish absorb into the stoneware? How big is it? Is it heavy?

Ginger
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Yes..it is heavy, but you can buy a rack that it sits in which has handles on both sides and makes it easier to lift out of the oven. I had a nice big stone from Pampered Chef (love their products!) and I admit that I did not use it much, but one day DH dropped it and broke it in half when I wasn't home. He just threw it in the trash and I didn't know it until weeks later. I've just never replaced it. It is expensive, but things do turn out nice when you use it for baking.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
New Topic Post Reply