Easy Picnic Cake

Post recipes for cakes, cookies, pies, breads, beverages, and more. Also post comments, questions, and misc. here.

Moderator: Chris_W

pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Easy Picnic Cake

Post by pauhaus »

Here is a really easy cake that is made, baked and transported in the same pan. This sounds like a weird recipe and that it might not work, but it does. It is really more like a peach cobbler and makes a deliciously moist dessert. I served it warm with vanilla ice cream. Let me know. :P

1 large can (29 oz.) sliced peaches in syrup, undrained
1 pkg. (18-1/4 oz.) yellow cake mix
1 c. shredded coconut
1 c. walnuts or pecans, coarsely chopped
3/4 melted butter or margarine (1-1/2 sticks)
Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, if desired

Arrange peach slices and juice evenly on bottom of ungreased 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Sprinkle dry cake mix evenly on top of peaches. Sprinkle coconut evenly over cake mix and top with chopped nuts. Drizzle melted butter or margarine evenly over top of mixture. Bake at 350 degrees, 45 to 50 minutes, until puffed and golden brown on top. Serve warm or cold with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Makes 10 to 12 servings.
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

OOOhhhh! That sounds delish!

I might even be tempted to try it with canned pineapple... I bet it would make a wonderful "Island-y" sort of desset with the coconut.

Thanks for posting. I will definitely be trying this for the next football tailgate party!

Alexa
pauhaus

Post by pauhaus »

Thanks Alexa, I hope you like. I think it is better warm than cold. I never thought of pineapple, what a great idea! I'll have to try that next time. Hmmm, I wonder if you could use cherry pie filling and chocolate cake mix?
Paul
My Hosta List

JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Sure you could use Cherry Pie Filling and Chocolate Cake Mix. I have friends who camp every weekend and they make this in a big dutch oven on the grill or over the fire. They always try to come up with interesting combinations, any fruit and cake mix combination can work, but some are better than others! :o

They put a large can of fruit in the bottom of the dutch oven, dump the dry cake mix over it, and place two sticks of butter on top. Let it cook for 45mins to 1 hr. When done, serve it warm right out of the dutch oven. Great on a cool night!

I never thought about doing it in the oven in a 9x13, but now I will!! Thanks!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
pauhaus

Post by pauhaus »

Thanks Jane! Next time I go camping, I'm definitely going to try it on the grill. :P Let me know how it turns out for you.
Paul
My Hosta List

New Topic Post Reply