Apple cake from the Hoedown

Post recipes for cakes, cookies, pies, breads, beverages, and more. Also post comments, questions, and misc. here.

Moderator: Chris_W

Linda P

Apple cake from the Hoedown

Post by Linda P »

I fixed this apple cake for our get-together last weekend. It is so good and very easy! It came from Woman's Day magazine, the October 25, 1978 issue. I still have the page I tore out of the magazine, all folded up in my recipe box. I made it so often for a while that I didn't need the recipe.

Babe's Apple Cake

A stick-to-the ribs (my note...and the hips, and the tummy... :lol: ) cake that is moist and spicy and keeps well.

2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon each cinnamon and salt
1/2 teaspooon nutmeg
4 cups diced peeled tart cooking apples
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 eggs, well beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla

Stir together flour, wheat germ, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Set aside.
In large bowl, combine apples, sugars, oil, nuts, eggs and vanilly. Add flour mixture; stir gently with wooden spoon to blend well. Turn into greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven 50 minutes, or until cake pulls away from sides of pan. Cool in pan on rack. If desired, sprinkle with sifted confectioners sugar. Cut in 12 pieces.

This does keep well, but it doesn't usually stay around long enough to have to worry about that!
Sometimes I mix some walnuts and sugar and sprinkle it over the top before I bake it. That gives it a little extra crunch. If I don't have any apples in the freezer from my dad's 'pie apple' tree, then I use Granny Smiths.
Oh, it's really good with a little whipped cream on top, or serve it warm with a scoop of ice cream. Yum.

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I loved this!! Thanks Linda!! :P
New Topic Post Reply