Hardy Cactus

Discuss cacti & succulents, indoors or out, plus other plants for arid environments.

Moderator: Chris_W

Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Hardy Cactus

Post by Annie »

Anyone know anything about the hardy cactus that grows in IL, zone 5?
I have some a friend gave me a couple of years ago. I have them in a cement donkey cart LOL.
But they are doing really good!
I have never heard of any hardy ones until I got these. I know they bloom yellow cause my friend a couple of blocks from me said hers bloomed last year.

Anyone got any info on them?
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Prickly Pear! The bloom reminds me of a Japanese paeonie. Beautiful yellow with a red center. The flower last for a very short time. I haven't had any for a few years now.
Opuntia robusta....I THINK! :oops: :D
If you find some, break a "leaf" off, let it dry out for a fw days and stick it in well drained soil. :wink:
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Hi Annie! Yup, I have a Prickly Pear cactus here in central IL that grows and blooms wonderfully for me. I was surprised to find out they would survive outdoors here. It's a fun to see people's reaction when they see a cactus growing in the garden here!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
gamekeeper

Re: Hardy Cactus

Post by gamekeeper »

High Country Nursery specializes in hardy cacti and succulents mine are doing well.
New Topic Post Reply