Help with type of plant.

Discuss cacti & succulents, indoors or out, plus other plants for arid environments.

Moderator: Chris_W

Flowers4eden

Help with type of plant.

Post by Flowers4eden »

I have 2 plants I believe to be succulents. I am not an avid gardener or plant owner, but I do love having plants in my home. I have been looking everywhere on the internet to try to find the name of the plants I have with no success. I thought if I posted a picture to this forum, someone may be able to help me.
I have repotted the plants once and think it is time to repot again. I was trying to find the name of the plant so I can look up how to repot it, which type of soil to use, and how to trim it back correctly. They are getting kind of long and lanky looking now. The pictures I took with my phone are from about 2 months ago.
Thank you to anyone who can provide me with any information on my plants.
Attachments
Plant.jpg
Plant.jpg (9.34 KiB) Viewed 5782 times
Plant1.jpg
Plant1.jpg (9.24 KiB) Viewed 5782 times
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Help with type of plant.

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

I'm not much of a house plant expert myself, but I think those are Jade plants. Do a search online to see if other pictures of Jade plants match yours.

Hope that helps :)

Chris
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

They sure look like a variety of jade plants to me also. We had this plant in the greenhouses at school (came from Hidden Lake Gardens cuttings)
Very easy to start new plants...either a single leaf, or stem tip cuttings. Your plants look healthy!!
Angel3K
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Angel3K »

Yes. It is a Jade plant, kindly add more pictures to be sure of the variety.

I used to live in an apartment, so I grow houseplants: Jade, Mother In Laws Tongue, Kalanchoe.

Jade can grow up to 30 year or so, can survive neglect. The only way to kill the plant, aside from disease is over-watering.
I watered mine (saturate) once a week or once every two weeks and it did well. I left it at my friends house when we move, and when she returned, she got sick infected by mealybugs. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mealybug). Its a white clump, cause the plants leaves to fall, and skin...well, peeling out and ugly.

I cut all the leaves, hose down the white mealy bugs. Then I boiled water, cool to room temp, and mix it with dish detergent (Palmolive, Sunlight). I soaked the branches in this mix overnight, then hose down the branches again... making sure the bugs are totally off. I let it dry under the sun. Then I planted them in small pots. So far, the leaflets are coming out and I am very excited that she survive the mealybugs.

And she is still alive, at least now, recovering, and divided. It was a 5 year old, but now divided all the branches into 5 small pots.

These are two pictures of my baby Jade. :) She was planted back in the pot last June 9th and this picture was taken today, June 25th.
Jade with leaflets
Jade with leaflets
Jade
Jade
Angie
New Topic Post Reply