Azaleas

Discuss Japanese gardens, bonsai, and other related topics.

Moderators: whis4ey, George Nesfield

irkwater

Azaleas

Post by irkwater »

These two Satsuki azaleas were photographed last July.when all my other azaleas and rhodies had long since gone. Maybe one day these two will make good bonsai
Attachments
DSCN0274.jpg
George Nesfield

Post by George Nesfield »

Hi,
The one on the left looks like it has good potential to be a bonsai the trunk looks reasonably shaped and thick.
George.
Anyone who never made a mistake never made anything
Colin

Post by Colin »

They look great, I always have problems with Azaleas, everyone I've ever had as died :???: I'm not sure if its my soil, I really need to test it.
Colin
When confronted by a difficult problem, you can solve it more easily by reducing it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
George Nesfield

Post by George Nesfield »

Hi Colin.
You need a mix of ericacious soil for the acidity and pea gravel for the drainage.
George.
Anyone who never made a mistake never made anything
Colin

Post by Colin »

Thanks George I might give one a try in a pot. How can I change my garden soil if thats the problem? :-? Oh by the way that cotoneaster got run over by the builders :( Snapped it in two.
Colin
When confronted by a difficult problem, you can solve it more easily by reducing it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
irkwater

Kanuma compost

Post by irkwater »

Talking of growing azaleas in pots,I bought some Japanese kanuma compost and was puzzled by the look of it.

It looks like dried lumpy clay.Do I use it neat or just mix it with the compound George describes.
I would be gratefull for any advice

Brian
New Topic Post Reply