Placing a Lantern

Discuss Japanese gardens, bonsai, and other related topics.

Moderators: whis4ey, George Nesfield

bobbo

Placing a Lantern

Post by bobbo »

It is a little way off but at some point I will place my carved Japanese Lantern near my pond. The one I have the base is a bit short and it has fell a few times so it sits disassembled until I get a spot ready. I plan to bolt ot a a rock cantilevered over the edge of the pond. My question is, is that okay, I don't want to create a total blunder as it were or to place it in an inappropriate way. Any help is appreciated.

I once read they are usually placed at a juncture of a path, illuminating the spot where a decision must be made. I have seen other writings of it's significance as it relates to religious beliefs.
When one attempts to create a scene and a backdrop of beauty, gardeners are fortunate to have a willing helper,God.
Even their breath is recycled into the whole.....
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

What type of lantern? Have you a pic?
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
George Nesfield

Post by George Nesfield »

Hi,
Yes a photo would give us the idea of what type of lantern it is , but lanterns are usualy used to light a path or placed near a bridge then of course their is the snow viewing lantern.
George.
Anyone who never made a mistake never made anything
bobbo

Post by bobbo »

Here it is, I love this thing and when I bought it, I thought I was getting a great deal. However it seems the base is too short for the cantilever and it has fell a few times, the last I had it cemented here but in a freeze/thaw cycle it came loose again. My plan now is to drill the base and bolt it either to a stone, or to pour some concrete(deep and wide) and attach it to that and cover that up, probably with the Kewanee flats and skippers that you can see here around it.

The idea of letting hang over the water is one I have, but I have plenty of other places near the pond it can go. Where ever I do put it, I'm waiting till it is ready, I don't want it falling again.
Attachments
101_0486.jpg
101_0485.jpg
When one attempts to create a scene and a backdrop of beauty, gardeners are fortunate to have a willing helper,God.
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

The lantern is a Rankei lantern, and they are usually suspended out over water
The way to do it is to bury the plinth into the earth so that only the granite top is visible. That should make it so that it can't fall over. If not a little concrete will help
It is a lovely lantern. Health to enjoy :)
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
bobbo

Post by bobbo »

The lantern is a Rankei lantern, and they are usually suspended out over water
So I was on the right path with my thoughts any way, thanks.
I have 3 more, but all of those are cast. None of them are like this one, they all stand on 4 legs. I really love them, I don't want to overdo a good thing.

I'm not attempting a traditional Japanese garden, but I do borrow elements.
George Nesfield

Post by George Nesfield »

Hi,
Really nice lantern, as Sam says bury the base to make it secure and position it over your pond.
George.
Anyone who never made a mistake never made anything
Tokyo Mike

Post by Tokyo Mike »

If it continues to fall, i'll come and take the bugger off your hands. I'm not too far away ! :lol:
New Topic Post Reply