Azaleas

Discuss Japanese gardens, bonsai, and other related topics.

Moderators: whis4ey, George Nesfield

Colin

Azaleas

Post by Colin »

I am purchasing some azaleas today, George given our climate is it a little early to plant them out yet, and which ericaceous compost would you recommend? I normally go for something in the John Innes range.
I've just bought some Squamata low gound hugging conifer to cover a boring patch near the top of the garden where nothing seems to grow. I'm going to design an area with the plant and some rocks to compliment each other. I'm also looking at buying some bamboo fence roll to hide the boring shiplap panels.
Colin
When confronted by a difficult problem, you can solve it more easily by reducing it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
George Nesfield

Post by George Nesfield »

Hi Colin,
I think any compost will do as long as it is ericacious for azaleas as they need acidic soil but add plenty of pea gravel to aid drainage.before you buy your bamboo roll take a look at my Asumaya I have done the back of that with heather screening made into panels, I also put panels all around my garden last year which I also made with the heather screening, you can buy it from the garden centers that sell the bamboo rolls.the reason I don't recomend the bamboo rolls is because you will only get 2/3 years before they dry out and break and look a mess, That is only my opinion as I used it for my garden, but glad I got rid of it.
the bottom photo shows the bamboo which stood up better to the weather because it was under cover.
George.
http://koi-z-are-us.20m.com/asumaya.htm
Anyone who never made a mistake never made anything
Colin

Post by Colin »

George as usual your garden continues to amaze me its fantastic. The picture that shows what appears to be very thin bamboo roll looks similar to something I used in my last garden, it didnt last very long. The rush type roll you have used looks the part, I had considered it but didnt know whether it would look right, but now I've seen that I think may give it a go, it looks really good. I've also seen some fairly substantial split bamboo roll that looks stronger. I will have to compare the prices, if I'm going to pay expensive I want it to last more that a year or two. Your thick bamboo pole fences look great.
Colin
When confronted by a difficult problem, you can solve it more easily by reducing it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

If you get strong winds the French brush screening won't last either Colin. Like George I have used it as imitation thatch and it seems fine there, or in places where it is protected from the winds. Where I used it for fencing it has blown apart within 2 - 3 years.
I have since covered mine with the bamboo screening which is at least more durable
I suppose it depends entirely what sort of weather conditions it is going to have to endure
This was my fence BEFORE it was blown apart by the winds
Attachments
DSC00048.JPG
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
Colin

Post by Colin »

I'm going to secure it to the inside of my lap fencing which is fairly solid but very boring and not very japanese. Do you think its a bit to early to plant azaleas out side yet! the weather man has threatened that the snow is on its way back. :(
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

My understanding is that potted plants can be planted out at any time of the year. Surely they were sitting outside in their pots? :)
I certainly would have no problems with planting them out.
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
George Nesfield

Post by George Nesfield »

Hi Colin,
My azaleas are allways outside i think they only keep them in a greenhouse to rush them on a bit.and as Sam says the heather screening really does need some thing behind it so your lap fencing behind will be ideal because that is what is behind mine.
George.
Anyone who never made a mistake never made anything
Colin

Post by Colin »

Thanks George and Sam, thats helped me make up my mind< I've just to wait for some decent weather now :frosty: I took a stroll around my garden on sinday trying mentally list all of the jobs I need to prepare for, only to find all of my alpines and a bamboo I planted at the top of the garden appear to have died :( I put them in last spring and they appeared to have taken quite well, so I dont know what went wrong. Possibly my lack of green fingers or maybe a certain small scamp of a dog!!?? :evil:
New Topic Post Reply