Dutch or Siberian?

Use this forum to discuss all types of Iris.

Moderators: Chris_W, John

ckp

Dutch or Siberian?

Post by ckp »

Don't know much about Irises, so will you help me in telling which is which of the Siberian and Dutch.
The one I want is that common deep purple one that seems to be in every one's garden but mine. Have looked in the catalogs but the Dutch and Siberian seem to be very similar. Will appreciate the help. ckp
Charlene
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

More than likely the common purple ones you refer to are bearded Iris. I know Mike or someone will tell you exactly which ones they are.
ckp

skinny iris

Post by ckp »

I nelected to give a good descripton. the flowers are smaller than the bearded and the leaves are long and narrow. It blooms around the end of May or early June here in Wisconsin zone 4. Reproduces rapidly.
Charlene
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Dutch iris bloom in early spring, siberian iris bloom in the late spring, early summer. Dutch iris foliage is not as plentiful as the foliage of the siberian iris. Dutch iris is a bulb flower while siberian iris are a rhizomatous perennial.
Did I help or confuse???
ckp

Thanks

Post by ckp »

This the info I was looking for. It's the Siberian I'm looking for. ckp
Charlene
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

The plant you see often could be Siberian Iris 'Ceasar's Brother'. I got this one from my Mom years ago and she got them many years before that.

Here is a small picture. I'm not sure if I have a better one or not but will check:

ckp

Ceasar

Post by ckp »

Thats it Chris. I see you have it in the catalog, will have to go over there and order it. ckp
Charlene
New Topic Post Reply