Old Catalogs

Use this forum to discuss all types of Iris.

Moderators: Chris_W, John

otnorot

Old Catalogs

Post by otnorot »

I have saved four catalogs two from Cooleys 1969&1971
two from Schreiner's 1969&1970 do they have any value?
Bill
Attachments
tmpphpSR9c9a.jpg
Old but still learning
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Oh Mike, lookie at what is on that one!! Bill what is the one in the lower right hand corner, Schreiner's cat. there is a rusty brown one. Can you tell us what the name of that one is, please??

I'm not sure on the value but some times listing them on eBay or going back to those that sent them out and asking if they want them might be wise. I have an old greenstamp book from the early 1970 that I wrote them I had. Hold on to them is what I was told, value to the right person if you can find? Those old Sears Cats have value now.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
otnorot

Iris name

Post by otnorot »

karma Happy Toes right side book bottom left picture is "Dutch Chocolate".AS for holding on to them well I'm into my 82 year so I dont think I can hold on to them much longer. LOL Could you ask Mike if hes heard of the "Rainbow iris garden" but I dont remember the State, thats who I used to get my iris from in the 50tys he had rebloomers,spooned,horned mohrs Ect. When the owner died his family closed the business now everything he was working towards is becoming popular 50 years later. Heres one of my seedlings.

bill
Attachments
Dave's Flowers 007.jpg
Dave's Flowers 007.jpg (35.36 KiB) Viewed 2564 times
Old but still learning
kHT

Post by kHT »

Thank you Bill as this is the one Mike has for his picture and we both have been looking for the name. I'll give him a shout!!

Love the color of that breath taking iris!! DS would like to see me cross these but I'm running out of room here. :wink:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
Garden_of_Mu
USDA Zone: 7

Post by Garden_of_Mu »

These old catalogs are very collectible tend to go for anywhere between $10 and $100 on eBay depending on the age. 60's and 70's are going to be at the low end, just because they are easier to find and both Cooley's and Schreiner's were huge growers that sent out mass mailings of them. Now Lloyd Austin's Rainbow Hybridizing Gardens catalogs usually go for a nice chunk of change.

If I wasn't broke I'd offer to buy all four of them from you.

Dutch Chocolate is a gorgeous old brown, but not the same as my maroon bi-toned avatar. Form is very similar though.

http://www.hips-roots.com/photos/dutch- ... te-lm.html
~ Mike

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t
matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Theodore Geisel, aka Dr.
Seuss
kHT

Post by kHT »

Oh Mike I thought we both were looking for the brown one's name and the one you have. I'm still looking.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
bengal

Post by bengal »

I love old garden catalogs, and I must confess to having bid on more than a few on ebay. :blush: I go especially ga-ga over old daylily and bulb catalogs. If I had a decent-sized iris collection, I'm sure I'd want those as well.

(Decent-sized iris collection -- Finally! We'll be moving, and, for the first time in years, I'll actually have enough sun to be able to grow irises. I won't know where to start when it comes to collecting them of course, but it'll be fun anyway. :D )

But I must say: looking through the old catalogs is often bittersweet. Sweet because you can spend some pleasant minutes imagining the beautiful flowers in your own garden. Bitter because so many of them are no longer to be found any where.
bengal

Post by bengal »

I have to say, Bill, that seedling of yours is exquisite!
bengal

Post by bengal »

I have to say, Bill, that seedling of yours is exquisite!
otnorot

Iris

Post by otnorot »

Thank you bengal this seedling is 35 years old and last year was the first time its bloomed. Its been growing in deep shade all these years and got hidden in the garden. I discovered it in 06 with its tag and I moved it to my sons place with more sun and it bloomed last year. I found about 14 lost iris seedlings and moved the rest last year so maybe I will have some more like that,
Bill
Old but still learning
Maggidew

Post by Maggidew »

Speaking of old catalogs and Iris, we have this one down the road a piece. The house it's at must be 60 to 70 years old, but of course we have no idea when this was planted. The clump is about 5 feet around and we are on friendly terms with the owner, so I am hoping to see this bloom in our garden next year.
Attachments
reCopper at Wandas.jpg
Maggi
otnorot

Iris

Post by otnorot »

Wow I like that one.
Bill
Old but still learning
Garden_of_Mu
USDA Zone: 7

Post by Garden_of_Mu »

Yeah, that is a beautiful color. The form looks like 1930's or 40's to me.
~ Mike

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t
matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Theodore Geisel, aka Dr.
Seuss
New Topic Post Reply