Corn questions

Use this area to discuss herb and vegetable gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

Gardentoad
USDA Zone: 5

Corn questions

Post by Gardentoad »

I have never grown corn before. I bought some early sweet corn seed packets. I expected the seeds to look plump like the corn in my bird seed.
Instead it is shriveled up and some have brown spots.
Is that normal?
Should I soak it before planting?
I know I am a little late getting it planted. I waited on getting a tiller.
The directions on the packet says to plant in mid spring in 3" pots then set out 18" apart.
Will the chipmunks and birds dig it up if I just direct seed it in the garden?
I could put a screen over it if I need to.

TIA
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Can't remember what it looked like other than swiveled up, but maybe it was treated with something? If you got it a farm place, call was it all that way? Call and ask them. Sorry not much help, it's been years since I've grown corn.

I remember having frost this late before and having to wait this to plant. Go ahead. I think they tell you to plant in succession anyway, don't they? SO you have some ready to eat all summer?
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

It's normal that the seeds look dried up. No need to soak them before planting. I'm zone 5 also and I plant directly into the garden in rows 18-24 inches apart with 2-3 seeds per hill every 15 inches. This time of year isn't too late. It germinates fairly quickly. I don't cover with screen or do anything special. Very easy to grow. Love that fresh sweet corn!!!
:D

Good Luck!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Gardentoad

Post by Gardentoad »

Thanks. :D
I bought it online.
I'll plant it today.
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Just saw this thread. My DH just started to plant today. He put in about 4 rows of corn and then in another two weeks he'll do another few rows. We can't plant much earlier than Memorial day usually because of the weather here. Not so much the frost when it's corn you've planted, but the rains! We had lots and lots of rain last week and I know of some folks who planted a bunch of seeds only to see them float away. :roll: My DH has learned not to rush the season when it comes to planting.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Gardentoad, I just caught this thread. We soak our no more than over night and plant the very next day, corn comes up faster this way.
New Topic Post Reply