Don't "Squash" me Now!

Use this area to discuss herb and vegetable gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Don't "Squash" me Now!

Post by JaneG »

Hooray, I'm so tickled I just had to tell SOMEBODY, so it's you!!!

I usually have HORRIBLE luck with winter squash, acorn, pumpkins, butternut, etc. I seem to always get those squash bugs that eat the vine and then the fruit can't continue to grow.

Well, for some reason this year my butternut squash are going gangbusters! The vines are happily growing over half of the garden, the blooms are 8 inches across, and some of the first squash are 10 inches long, although still green!!! I'm so excited to have them actually maturing and no signs of those &#)@* bugs!!! Hooray! :D :D
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Gardentoad

Post by Gardentoad »

Do you have any idea why they're gone? Did you treat or clean the area after last season or attract preditors to eat the bugs?
I have a problem with them too but I won't use insecticides so I just get what I can at the beginning of the season and then pull up the dying vines. My zuccini is starting to look bad now and I don't know if I'll get a few mellons this year or not.
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Post by Pandora »

Yippee. I love it when a crop surprises you.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

DH's squash is starting to come in also. He says he had bug problems with some stuff, but not everything.
Glad yours is doing great!! :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

((Whispering)) GT, I don't know where they went, I didn't treat with anything. But I hope they stay gone!

I understand they going into the soil over the winter, so I tried to pull out the vines and burn them last year as soon as they died. Hoping that the bugs were still in them and I would burn the little buggers too. Maybe that helped some.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
New Topic Post Reply