Books on Herbs

Use this area to discuss herb and vegetable gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

newtohosta-no more

Books on Herbs

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Hi all......I just wanted to share with you a book I just got called "Your Backyard Herb Garden" by Miranda Smith.
I figured this would be another nice way to pass the winter months and prepare for spring. The book seems to cover quite a lot of material: choosing plants for your needs, planting locations, ways to use herbs in cooking, crafts, etc.
It does not have a lot of recipes,but has a few that I might like to try. There is even a pet dip recipe to use to combat fleas!
I first saw this book at the library and decided it was one I would like to acquire. You might want to check and see if your library carries it too!
Does anyone else have an Herb book that they highly recommend?
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I'm a little late chiming in here, but I have one I just love. It's "Gardening with Herbs" by Emelie Tolley and Chris Mead.
It has a lot of great pics and plans for integrating herbs into your garden.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
newtohosta-no more

I'll have to check and see if my library has that book, Linda!
Thanks for the recommendation. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Herblady

Herb Books

Post by Herblady »

I would also recommend:

HERBS (How to select, Grow and Enjoy) by Norma Jean
Lathrop

HERB GARDENING IN FIVE SEASONS by: Adelma G.
Simmons :wink:
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

newtohosta-no more, we have two books. Rodale's Innustrated Enchclopedia of Herbs and Castleman's The Healing Herbs.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
newtohosta-no more

thank you both for the recommendations! I'll check my local library for those books.
I am a big fan of the Gardening books that Rodale's puts out. They are usually very easy to read and great for a gardener such as myself who is ,by no means, an experienced gardener. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

newtohosta-no more

Well....I checked the website for our county library system and found all four of the above mentioned books available, so I've requested them. I stop at my local library once a week, so I would expect they might be waiting there for me next week when I go back. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

John

Post by John »

Anything by Adelma G Simmons is wonderful. I was fortunate to meet her at Caprilands, shortly before her death in 1997, an incredible woman. She received her guests in pontifical manner, right down to a scarlet scullcap! I took no photos, as she had an aversion to flash, and I was fearful... She was ancient at the time, and marrying a man decades younger, hope she had some joyful years! Caprilands still goes on...
Herblady

Post by Herblady »

John: Many years ago, I too visited Capriland.... it was just a wonderful, wonderful day indeed... she was her very "regal" self and quite amusing I found... we toured the gardens and had her herbal lunch... it was just so much fun......

Herblady
Herblady

Herb magazine recommendation....

Post by Herblady »

I would highly recommend for those interested in growing and using herbs to try to get the herbal magazine called:

THE HERB COMPANION .. www.herbcompanion.com

I have subscribed to this magazine for over ten years and have not been disappointed yet... it is extremely informative, teaching us all how to use and grow herbs of course for culinary uses but also how to use them in crafts,
etc., etc., there are also some articles at times on their medicinal uses if you are so interested. The illustrations and helpful hints of the many uses of herbs have been such a source of invaluable information... PLEASE NOTE: **(I have NO vested interested in this magazine)... other than to recommend it highly for its very informative content.

Herblady
John

Post by John »

Herblady, glad you got to enjoy Caprilands also. I went to the herbal lunch also, it was a lot of fun.. I still grow Egyptian onions (tree onions, walking onions) from Caprilands. I stayed at a B & B in Tolland, CT, called the Babcock Tavern, it was a wonderful weekend.
New Topic Post Reply