Veggie Garden Tilled!!

Use this area to discuss herb and vegetable gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Veggie Garden Tilled!!

Post by kHT »

It's feels so great to get that one out of the way so we can start planting!! For those of you planting a veggie garden, please plant a couple extra rolls of veggie for the local food bank or homeless shelter!! They really enjoy having home grown veggies to cook. It also helps them out budget wise when there are so many to feed.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
kHT

Post by kHT »

Our third garden bed that used to be the home to the irises that now line the back fence. This bed was to home the over flow of brugmansia but since I cut my numbers back this year this bed will be the new home of the 6 Kiwis that a friend brought me, the many daturas, north end hostas and onions, with the south end radishes. As you can see we are tearing out more and more grass each year, got my mowing time down now to just twenty minutes from what used to be an hour when we first moved in.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Well...bless Josh's heart for tilling up your bed for you! :D
There really is nothing like a bed all churned up, brown, and ready to plant. DH usually plants a good sized garden at the old farm and he's planning on doing it this year. The man that leases the fields for his crops will till it all up for him as soon as he gets the time. If DH can't wait that long he'll probably till up part of it himself so he can at least start a few things. Our weather here is so iffy though. Most of the time he doesn't get much in before Memorial Day because of rainy springs. I hope this year will be different. The sooner he gets his stuff planted, the sooner we'll be enjoying it on the table. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Good for you, Karma! That soil looks great!

I'm SO behind in getting the veggie garden started. DH decided my old garden bed was the perfect place for his drying racks, so I am moving the garden to a new location. Need to do some serious tilling and amending since I'll be breaking new ground.

Can't wait to see your sweet corn in a few months!!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

Mine was tilled (rotovated) three weeks ago and planted up a couple of days ago
Mind you ... it is a lot smaller than it used to be :)
Fresh veggies are so much tastier and better for you than from the supermarket. AND you know that they haven't been sprayed with anything :)
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
kHT

Post by kHT »

Thanks everyone! I agree Sam, home grown is a lot safer.
We are still enjoying the veggies from last year, it was so nice to not have to buy any veggies all year!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Looks really great Karma....Your beds are always so......how should I say this.....neat/perfect......man I wish you were closer..... :D
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

Hey Goosey .... are you trying to tell us that you are less than tidy/perfect? :lol:
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I don't know about that, Sam. Remember LG is the one that uses that tape measure religiously when she plants so that all the plants are perfectly spaced apart. :lol:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
kHT

Post by kHT »

Ms Goose, what is with this neat/perfect??? Are you saying I spend way to much time out in the garden now that I'm not working?? :lol: You are just seeing them as they are created and now what a mess they will become. I know I need to find a job!! I like Ms Goose's tidy/perfect world as I sure wouldn't have time for a tape measure. I guess Goose will have to teach me?? Goose I wished we lived closer too. I think you would be a kick to have for a neighbor!!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
New Topic Post Reply