Veggie Gardens Planted??

Use this area to discuss herb and vegetable gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Veggie Gardens Planted??

Post by kHT »

How many of you have your veggie gardens in?? I have a couple more melon seedlings in the greenhouse to put in and I can officially say ours is in. I will add too our corn is popping up like crazy!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

We stuck a couple tomato plants in. Does that count?

Our POA is wanting to use an open area for a community garden if there are enough people interested. We will pay a $10-15 fee to rent a 10x10 area each year. We hope it goes over well and have our names on the list.

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

You know Karma.....my DH hardly ever can get his veggie garden in before Memorial Day. Usually it's wet and cold here in May, but this year has been different. He did plant some corn and a few other things already, but now we haven't had any rain!! His garden isn't at our house. It's at the farm where he grew up, so he can't be out there every day to water. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will finally rain tonight and give everything a good soaking. He's hoping to put in the rest of his stuff next week. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
kHT

Post by kHT »

Joan, my DH put the straw we got to cover our plants this past winter in the bottom of his rows and he is surprised how that holds the moisture in. Especially yesterday when we got so hot so fast, they didn't dry out like he thought.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

I don't do a veggie garden, per se. However, I have m Maters, Eggplants, Lettuces and Hot Peppers all planted (as of today :lol: )

The Tomatoes are in HUGE pots (26 - 30 inch in diameter) and the peppers are interplanted with the roses :roll: :lol: The Eggplant is in a slightly smaller pot and the Lettuces are being sown every 8 - 10 days in containers as I find time/room. I learned my lesson last year - no zucchini. What WAS I thinking putting 6 (SIX :eek: ) plants into the daylily/rose bed?!?!?!? :lol: I'm lucky ANYTHING survived in there :lol:

Anyway, unless I stumble across something I MUST have (like a really unusual color tomato plant) I guess I am done.

BTW - if you count herbs in this effort, I planted 5 parsley (2 curly, 3 Italian) 3 rosemary (Arp, creeping and another one I cant remember right now), 1 sage, 4 basil (giant, red rubin, holy thai and sweet aussie), and I have another 5 or 6 small pots (of assorted somethings that looked good that I can't recall at the moment) to shove into a container.

A
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

I'm done planting! I have tomatoes in earthboxes, a strawberry patch and a big, 2ft high x 3ft across pot with herbs in it. That is it, now all I have to do is weed and water! And finish staining the deck, and bring the hosta seed outside from under the lights, and help plant whiskey barrels for our community beach area on Sat., and find a place for a flat of sunflowers I started. And I swear that is it!
kHT

Post by kHT »

Garden is doing well, corn is up and I can now see the tops of the tomatoes that I buried really deep! I have melons in the greenhouse that need to go out but with this drop in temps again I'm just a little not sure when they will go out.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

I'm running waaaayyy behind, but I did pick up tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, zuchinni and some herbs today and got them planted this evening just as the sun was setting. I have room for more peppers and some squash. I had a new garden plot tilled up this year, so most of the year will be spent fighting weeds and grass, and trying to turn it into great soil for next year.

Karma, can't wait to see your corn at 8 feet tall!!!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
kHT

Post by kHT »

JaneH, I am forbidden to use the secret stuff in the garden this year!! We also have a visitor to the garden whom decided to eat the corn and make a big mess!! So we are going to have to fence in what is left of the corn. DH had to laugh when I planted the 6" matoes into the ground, only the top 2 leaves showed. I keep telling him to watch out as each year they topple over with the wire cages. I'm off to see what I can find to hold them up this year.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
Midnight Reiter Too

Post by Midnight Reiter Too »

I'm going to plant a couple of things after we get our fence up. I'm going for the smallest veggie garden on earth. :lol: Should I put newspaper and grass clippings down? I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to veggies.
Give a Weed an Inch and it’ll Take a Yard
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

:lol: Karma! So frustrating, isn't it!

My new DH is new to vegatable gardening and was worried about how deeply I sunk the tomato plants! I told him to relax, they would be fine!

Midnight - I'd put newspaper and grass clippings between the plants to supress weeds, but I don't think you want to plant directly into grass clippings.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
kHT

Post by kHT »

Compost the grass clippings and just put down paper.

We like to shred the paper but this year since we had lots of straw from covering plants DH is using that. Not a word, he has to learn!! We now have just half a bed of corn as whatever it was really enjoyed it! It's okay I have half a freezer of last year's corn. This is the first year we have had critter problems so this is a real puzzle as to what it was.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
New Topic Post Reply