My Garden

Use this area to discuss herb and vegetable gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

My Garden

Post by JaneG »

I've always had a vegetable garden, usually very functional and not very pretty. This year I have a new garden, not as big as before, but prettier as far as nice looking plants and lots of space.

It's in the back along the lot line, which is an old overgrown fence row with a ditch running through it. Our burn barrel and burn pile are back there too. So from that aspect it's not very attractive, but the garden is looking good. I didn't have to pack things in and they are still kind of small, but I thought I'd post a couple pictures. That's DH resting on the bench. He thought I was just taking picture of flowers, not him.

These are from a couple days ago. We had a really nice rain last night and this morning so all the plants have nearly doubled in size overnight! :D So far I've picked one cucumber and one zuchini, other stuff will be coming soon.
Attachments
Here's the view looking back up towards the house.   This is the hot sunny southwest side with icky clay soil, so not many plantings.   Most are on the other side of the house or further down the back lot line.  Can't see much of the garden because of the
Here's the view looking back up towards the house. This is the hot sunny southwest side with icky clay soil, so not many plantings. Most are on the other side of the house or further down the back lot line. Can't see much of the garden because of the
This view has the burn pile.  In the old ditch I found big chunks of concrete that I lined up along the back side of the garden.
This view has the burn pile. In the old ditch I found big chunks of concrete that I lined up along the back side of the garden.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Morning Jane!

You have lots of room I see for a bunch of daylilies!. I kinda wish we have room for a little veggie garden......I do have 2 tomato plants in the middle of daylilies....Oh, and one pepper plant...:lol:

It looks great! Thanks for sharing! :D
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

Good for you, Jane! My veggie garden is not even rototilled yet, let alone planted: too frequent rain.
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Beautiful little garden Jane! I love the bench sitting out there so you can watch stuff grow! :D I can imagine you out there preparing green beans.....or cleaning corn!

Wish I'd put in a veggie garden this year....have lots of flowers beds with a few tomatoes tucked in and one prolific zucchini....and a couple pots of hot peppers on the deck........but nothin' beats a great veggie garden! We had a 2 acre organic garden when I was growing up.

Thanks for the pics!......p :wink:
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Love the bench by the garden! And there's nothing like fresh veggies right out of your garden. DH plants one every year, but since it's not at our house , but at the old farmhouse where he grew up, he only gets out there a couple times a week and it gets weedy very, very quickly! I think we're going to construct some boxes for some "square foot gardening" and I can have some stuff planted here next year. Read about it in a book and I like the idea. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
New Topic Post Reply