Is this heirloom tomato ripe?

Use this area to discuss herb and vegetable gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Is this heirloom tomato ripe?

Post by wishiwere »

This is an heirloom ( I think it's brandywine, but not sure). I've never grown them and it started out a pinkish color and now is redish but has the green stripes in the grooves. When are they ready for picking? Anyone?
Attachments
DSCF7804.jpg
DSCF7804.jpg (45.52 KiB) Viewed 2662 times
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Is this heirloom tomato ripe?

Post by Chris_W »

If you can stand the wait, I would leave it on for a little while longer. But sometimes you just can't wait any longer and those first few tomatoes taste so good, even if they aren't quite ripe :lol:

Then after about 20 more tomatoes come on you realize that they can turn a darker red and taste even better. About 50 tomatoes more and you want to puke if you see another damn tomato :roll:

ENJOY!

Chris
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Ah, yes. I've got too many planted again this year! Still have canned one from year before! :lol:
But.... only 4 of these, 4 cherry size, 6 early girl and 12 beef steak. Or it might be 12 early girl and 6 beef, not sure yet! And of course the tags are way under the plant! :roll:

I'm afraid with this heat and lack of rain (although I water from underneath always, the leaves aren't as full as others years, and they'll burn rather than ripen on the plant :( It's hard to know what to do! I swear, If I had shade cloth, I'd cover them with it, to cut down on the sun beating on them! When they all ripen, I'm in big trouble, but the soup kitchens and places that give boxes of food should be happy! :D

Stan's home tomorrow, I'll let him pick it! :D
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

I grow a lot of heirloom tomatoes, most of which are "unusual" colors (i.e., not red). I had to figure out how to recognize the proper 'ripeness' color with each variety, but the best test is often by touch. Tomatoes should yield to slight pressure when they are ripe. If you give a squeeze and the tomato feels hard and firm, it's not yet ripe.
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Thanks, I'll give it a squeeze tomorrow morning, first thing! :D
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

My Grandma grows some heirloom tomatoes. Yours looks like hers do when they are ripe. The don't turn red, but rather stay a pinker or deep peachy color. with some green still on them sometimes. She always calls them "Amish" tomatoes, but I don't know which variety they actually are. If you're not sure, I agree with the squeeze method! (Like Mr. Whipple and his Charmin!) :lol:
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
New Topic Post Reply