2009 Veggie Garden

Use this area to discuss herb and vegetable gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

lazygardner

Re: 2009 Veggie Garden

Post by lazygardner »

So, how is everyone's veggie garden now?
(This has been a most amusing thread to read.)
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Well, Karma started this thread back in JANUARY . . . (what was she thinking?) . . . and we finally had dry weather last week for the first time in weeks, dry enough for the garden to dry out and get tilled! We've had nothing but MUD up until now.

So, I finally got some things planted . . .
Tomatoes, mostly for preserving, (I don't eat fresh tomatoes, yucky), so there are Romas and Amish Paste tomatoes for that. As well as some Celebrity for DH to eat fresh.
Peppers, lots of bell, green, red and yellow. Also banana peppers and some hot ones, jalepeno, hungarian wax. I will make salsa and pepper jelly with these.
Cucumbers and zucchini, from my seed order from Parks (the Parks order was Karma's fault).
Carrots from Parks seeds.
Winter squash - Acorn, Butternut and Spaghetti, both bedding plants and some from Parks seed.
Still need to plant pole beans, but am having a heck of a time finding seeds locally and I forgot to include them in my Parks order!

We tilled up a new patch because DH wanted enough room to grow sweet corn. So there are six rows of sweet corn from Parks seed, I ordered Ambrosia and Sugar Buns. Karma always has good-looking corn and I'm sure hers will be taller than mine by the 4th of July!

Now the watering and weeding starts . . . :o
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Well, the maters are growing, in fact one plant has blossoms that I should take off. It is too small for maters yet. I added a Better Belle for sweet peppers. My parsley is sad right now and of my 3 dill plants I grew 1 is gone. Eaten by a mysterious critter that is eating lots of my new seedling plants I have put out... :evil:

I filled up the rest of my space this year with sunflowers and Yvonne's Salvia! I have always want to grow sunflowers I have 4 diferent kinds, inlcuding the REALLY tall ones :lol: ...at least 3 have been broken off...but I have more seeds!! LOL
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

Sounds like the two of you have a good start for our area, despite the ravages of weather and woodchucks.
I've got to ask, What is pepper jelly???? O-O
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

We are slowly moving what is in the greenhouse to the garden area. Beans, peas, zuc, cucs, matoes and corn are all planted in the bed. With the corn
breaking the soil this past weekend. We put the radishes closer to the house on the north side so someone wouldn't forget them.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

LazyGardener, pepper jelly is just like fruit jelly . . . except it is spicy, a combination of sweet and spicy. :o We eat it on crackers with cream cheese or with meat. It's made with about 4 big bell peppers, maybe 3 jalepeno peppers, and a LOT of sugar. You can google for lots of recipes.
JaneG
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

I'm afraid most of my veggies will be eaten as I pass by the garden on my way to work or on the way back into the house. My oven is currently being used as a cupboard and four of the three eyes on the stovetop don't even work. :blush: If it can't be cooked in the microwave, it will probably be eaten raw. Its kinda sad but, I just don't cook any more. I guess I am an even lazier cook than a lazy gardner! :???:
kHT

Post by kHT »

In just a few short weeks the corn is up!
Attachments
DSC03391.JPG
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
govgirl75

Post by govgirl75 »

That is one nice block of corn. :D
fiveacrefarmgirl

Post by fiveacrefarmgirl »

Our corn is knee high, all the rest just getting started, although its been in the ground for almost a month...tis been soo cool, peppers are peppering, and tomatoes are tomatoing....potatoes are ready to dig, herbs are ready to cut...my hothouse tomatoes are with tomatoe....
Five Acre Farmgirl
nanny_56

Post by nanny_56 »

Tomatoes are forming...pepper plants have flowers...my squash plants have little squash...IT IS GOOD!!!
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
kHT

Post by kHT »

Progress report . . . . . growing and no messenger! As you can see we have just planted a second crop
of a differ variety for late fall picking. We are picking blueberries which you can see in the photo too!
I need to cut the bushes back some to get to the berries.
Attachments
DSC03978.JPG
DSC03978.JPG (104.84 KiB) Viewed 8340 times
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

You have such pretty gardens!!! Even the veggie garden!!! My corn is doing great, maybe just a wee bit farther along than yours . . . but I won't be posting any pictures of it because it's in the far back corner of the yard next to the burn barrel and drainage ditch . . and isn't pretty like yours. I have enough trouble keep the pretty gardens pretty, can't manage it with the veggies too. But they don't mind being the ugly duckling, and everything they produce will be devoured! :D I pull the weeds and the plants grow for me, that's our agreement! :lol: :lol:

Seriously Karma, I don't know how you do it!! Oh, and thanks for the recommendation. Our first planting of corn is Sugar Buns and Ambrosia that I ordered from Parks after you recommended Park Seed Co. Can't wait to taste them. It will be nice to have something other than the usual Sugar and Cream or Silver Queen that are so common around here.
JaneG
kHT

Post by kHT »

Thanks JaneG, I just put one foot in front of the other and keep going until it's done! It's just a passion for this
simple housewife. Do keep me posted on how you like that new corn.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: We had a storm last night with strong winds and driving rain . . . anyone who's farmed in the midwest knows what "downed corn" is . . . well that's what happened to my patch of sweet corn, more than half of it is laying over. The wind was blowing from the southwest, it looks like something just rolled through garden and smashed it all down with the stalks pointing to the northeast! :evil: :evil: :evil:

We'll leave it and some of it will continuing growing and even develop ears, but it won't thrive. I guess it's time to put in another planting of corn!!!

Well Karma, now you OFFICIALLY have the best lookin' plot of corn . . . 'cause mine is really looking pathetic right now!! :o
JaneG
kHT

Post by kHT »

Oh Jane, that is terrible!! What we do when that happens if put in PVC and rope/heavy string to set it up right and pray it makes it.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
Gardentoad

Post by Gardentoad »

I picked my first fully ripe tomato today. :D
It is a Celebrity.

I just had to share.
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Good for you!!! My garden is really slow this year . . . not enough of those hot summer days that the vegetable garden thrives on. We've had lots of cool weather and rain this year. My neighbor has 2 ripe tomatoes, mine are still green and marble-sized! :roll: The only thing we've harvested are a couple jalepeno peppers. I'm expecting Zucchini and Cucumbers any day now, if the sun will shine!!!
JaneG
nanny_56

Post by nanny_56 »

All the tomato plants have lots of green tomatoes on them. Have little peppers on the Poblano's, flowers on the bell pepper plant. And some crook neck squash is about ready for pickin'!! :D
Claudia
kHT

Post by kHT »

Gardentoad, congrats!! Aren't those the best tomatoes around? It will be a while before we enjoy one here, lots of blooms!!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
New Topic Post Reply