What is your favorite full size tomato for flavor?

Use this area to discuss herb and vegetable gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

lazygardner

What is your favorite full size tomato for flavor?

Post by lazygardner »

I have been growing only sweet millions cherry tomato for years, also known as sweet hundreds. Now I need to grow a slicing tomato for a very dear friend who doesn't have enough sun for tomatoes. She wants them for sandwiches and burgers. I want something with sweet flavor. What do you all suggest??? :-?
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
lazygardner

Re: What is your favorite full size tomato for flavor?

Post by lazygardner »

Well, in case anyone sees this post.... I settled on Brandywine and Celebrity. Both are supposed to have good flavor and Brandywine is an heirloon and Celebrity is supposed to have good flavor and be resistant to most diseases.
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Post by govgirl75 »

I saw your post. Just didn't know what to recommend. I am having a vege garden for the first time in 20 years, so I am a little out of the loop as to varieties of tomatoes. I settled on Jet Star due to low acidity and Amish Paste for sauce. I picked up a couple of other heirloom varieties but I don't recall the names and it is pouring outside, so I'm not going out to look.
Good luck with the 'maters.
Glo
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

I've grown both Jet Star and Celebrity and they are nice 'red' tomatoes. With the Brandywine, you will find it more of a large pinkish, old-fashioned tomato, not the bright red tomatoe that looks so delicious. It's a great tomato, just doesn't have the appearance some people expect. I planted Jet Star last year and it was a heavy producer and the tomatos are medium sized. I frequently plant Celebrity because it's easy to find around here and is also a reliable plant.

If you want to make sauces, Roma are really good for making sauce and paste. I grow several Romas every year and make salsa and tomato sauce to preserve. They are a firm plum tomato and don't have such a watery interior as the other types.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

Thank you both! I do like Romas even tho I just use them on salads and sandwiches. I didn't even think of them til now. Since I already have three tomato plants I won't be getting any Romas this year, but maybe I'll remember next year??? Anyway, I hope your veggie gardens are outstanding successes this year!!! :beer:
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

I just saw this...this year we picked Romas, Better Boy, Beefsteak, and I have 2 yellow types that someone gave me but I don't know what they are. Plus a Sweet Cherry 100...we really like tomatoes! :lol:

ooops!!! Forgot I have an unknown Heirloom that i grew from seed too!
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

Cool Nany56. Maybe you can post pics later. :D
New Topic Post Reply