Rhubarb Question

Use this area to discuss herb and vegetable gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Rhubarb Question

Post by JaneG »

I've grown rhubarb for years. Always harvest it in the spring when the new stalks are abundant. Then I just leave it alone the rest of the year, it tends to get pretty yellow and scraggly looking by mid-summer.

This year, mine has had a BURST of growth over the last couple weeks. The plants are just as lush and full of new growth as they normally are in the spring.

Is there any reason I can't harvest this and enjoy a nice rhubarb crisp this fall? If I just take a handful of stalks it shouldn't hurt the plant at this time of year, will it? Any other reason why I wouldn't want to use fall rhubarb?

Has anyone ever taken rhubarb at this time of year?

Thanks!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Rhubarb Question

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Jane,

When I used to have a really old patch we always harvested in the fall and it never hurt the clumps at all. Once established they are really tough plants, and besides, frost will be killing them soon anyway, so I say get as much as you can now and enjoy it all winter. That's actually when my parents always harvested theirs too and Mom would often have Rhubarb pie at Thanskgiving.

Enjoy!

Chris
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Re: Rhubarb Question

Post by JaneG »

Thanks Chris!! It never occurred to me that I could harvest any time other than spring!! Now I'm going to be having some fresh fall rhubarb!!! YEA!!! :D :D
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
New Topic Post Reply