Planning Veggie Garden??

Use this area to discuss herb and vegetable gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Planning Veggie Garden??

Post by kHT »

Okay it's time to think ahead and order those seeds that you have been eyeing in those seed
catalogs or checking to see if the seeds you stored are okay. Yes, ordering early is the best way
to insure that you get those seeds for the veggie garden.

Why, DH is one that drags his feet and when it came time to order . . . . .they were out!! To my
surprise Wally's World had what he wanted and so I got to eat crow!! Don't count on it for next year. :wink:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Re: Planning Veggie Garden??

Post by Ginger »

Jeez Karma... you have got to be the most organized think ahead person I know! I envy you that, I really do. I will start thinking about the veggies later on, but I seldom plant more than tomatos, peppers, onion, garlic and cilantro! I gotta have my salsa :lol:
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
Gardentoad
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Gardentoad »

I ordered row cover from Johnny's a few weeks ago and they had a good sale so I got several packets of new varieties to try, some at 75% off. These are clearance seeds so thee germination is lower but I never need near as many seeds to germinate as I get of each variety so I don't care if it drops a little. The majority will still grow.
I bought 21 packets.
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Good grief! NO! We are getting 3 inches of snow tonight! :frosty: Who's thinking about veggie gardens? (Well, Park Seed has been sending me emails, so I guess they've started thinking about it!) Not much planning needed here, it will be the usual culprits . . . tomatoes, cukes, peppers, zucchini, winter squash. Nice and manageable this year. That's what I promised myself when I got overwhelmed with it last year. :???:

I am NOT, I repeat NOT, going to get excited when spring comes and plant more garden than I can handle. I will NOT, I repeat NOT, let my husband talk me into a bigger corn patch (again), I will NOT, I repeat NOT, get myself into a situation that I can't keep up with the harvest in August. I will NOT, I will NOT, I will NOT!!!!! (Trying to keep this mantra going in my head.)

Now, please no more postings about veggie garden planning, it's hard for me to concentrate on my NOTs when you all are talking like this!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
kHT

Post by kHT »

I'm so sorry!! :lol: But I wanted folks to think about early seed ordering due to DH not getting what he wanted
on time last year. I have to laugh as I taught him to save seeds so shoot me we don't have to place and order! :wink:
I love saving money!!

Snow on the valley floor for today if the fronts from the southwest pineapple express, hit with the cold Alaska artic and west gorge winds hit!!
The mountains all around us are white and I wish it would stay up there!!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
kHT

Post by kHT »

We finally got our veggie garden in yesterday and so sorry to say, we have cut way back on what is being planted. We are seeing another year of strange weather and
decided to do less due to it is still cool, gets hot and then we drop back down 20 degrees??
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
kHT

Post by kHT »

Our corn is up!! : ) With this past few days in the 80s, finally a little warmth the little green we are seeing is up! But then we take
a nose down today with cooler temps and rain. I'm not complaining, this weather is just so much fun to garden in. Another repeat of
last years weather?
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Locally grown corn is just now starting to be sold in our area. Many farmers were late getting their corn crops planted because of the wet spring, but the hot weather has helped move it along. The rain seems to have given it an added boost at the right time too. I love fresh corn on the cob! YUM!
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
New Topic Post Reply