Squash, Eggplants, Carrots and Tomatoes

Use this area to discuss herb and vegetable gardening.

Moderator: Chris_W

Angel3K
USDA Zone: 5

Squash, Eggplants, Carrots and Tomatoes

Post by Angel3K »

Please post your 2011 Veggie Gardens:

The back fence, about 8 feet by 2 feet was my small veggie garden.
A modest start: 2 squash, 3 eggplants, few carrots and 1 tomato.

I am sooo surprise that the squash grown so big, it covered the eggplant and the raspberry bush in the corner.

Here it is:

butternut squash i think

Squash Flowers

baby squash

Eggplant - my favorite veggie ( i smell it stir fried)

more eggplants coming soon - here are more flowers

roma tomatoes

Kenny's carrots, trying to survive under the squash
newtohosta-no more

Re: Squash, Eggplants, Carrots and Tomatoes

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Very nice! Some of those squash plants will spread all over the place and cover a large area. That should help keep the weeds down, shouldn't it? :)
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Angel3K

Post by Angel3K »

ah Joan, i thought so too. But the weeds grow under the shade of the squash, so maybe next year, I'll pass on the squash.LOL
ogrefcf
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by ogrefcf »

Here's mine this year. Didn't do to much with it since I had so many other things. Got some corn, tomatoes, onions, squash, zucchini, radishes, but they went to seed, and some lettuce. Planted some grapes by the pergola that seem to be doing well.

The box to the left will be for strawberry's this fall, still don't know on the right. Has a watermelon in there now that's struggling.

Owen
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

We got a late start on our veggie garden because it was a holding area for some arborvitae :roll: But now we are just starting to get Zucchini squash, have had a few tomatoes, picked some peas but for some reason they were really tough... Our radishes also really went to seed - first time growing those, so didn't know what to expect, but still hoping that we'll get something out of them. I now wonder if we'll never get rid of them, due to all the seeds that will spread around!

And Angel, yes that looks like butternut squash. They take up a ton of space, so much that we don't even put those in the actual garden but just let them grow up on the hill where they spread out into the field, so it isn't something for a small garden.

Some friends gave us some young red potatoes from their garden recently and wow were they good! They had planted 50 pounds of seed potatoes so :wow: wow, they have a lot coming on (and hopefully they will share some more later ;) )
Angel3K

Post by Angel3K »

Hi Chris,

thanks on the tips for the squash. Yes, next year I will never plant it. it overtakes the whole area.
New Topic Post Reply