Hoop greenhouse questions galore! ANYONE?

Discuss greenhouses and general propagating topics. For propagating a specific type of plant, post in that specific plant forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Hoop greenhouse questions galore! ANYONE?

Post by wishiwere »

Good AFternoon~

Need some questions answered as dh is into this greenhouse thing but now! :o

So? Can anyone answer any of these?

1) How does one attach the poly covering to the ends at the curved area? Is there a glue or something for these? OR what can you do to attach it? PLEASE HELP?????????

2) What type of poly? Is regular 6 MIL okay to use?

3)This will be zone 5, southern (all in the sun) So Iknow eventually I'll need shade cloth. what is used for this? Can I sew some of those landscaping fabric together for this?

Okay, I know he'll have more............so.....thanks for these! :) :D
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

1) Ask where you buy your supplies as there is more than one way.

2) You need UV-resistant poly unless you want to replace it every single year. This, too, is available at your greenhouse supply store.

3) The landscape fabric blocks too much light. Same supplier offers shade cloth, which comes in different percentages. I use 60 and 70%; what you use depends on what you plan to grow.
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
Fergy

Poly

Post by Fergy »

I don't know what it standard, but this is how mine is attached. It is very simple, and seems to work well.
Mine uses 3/8" thick strips of plywood cut to 1/2" wide. These are screwed to the pvc pipes on the ends of the house only. Use 3/4" gavanized screws.
The poly is stretched over the house and is stapled to the plywood strip. Use a batton strip of plastic 1/2" wide on top of the poly before you staple. The batton strip is about as thick as pool liner ( pretty thick )
I think I will attach a picture to this, cause I'm not sure it makes since to me !
Attachments
batton.jpg
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

I've seen plastic clips that attach over the PVC and hold the poly in place. Can't remember where though... but they're very simple and just clip onto the PVC right over the poly.

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Hmmmmm..wondering what they were called. He was playing aroudn with ideas today and cut a 1 inch piece of the pvc pipe and then cut it to break the circle and used them slid of the pipe with plastic and it worked great. Also used some sort of glue (can't remember what) that comes in 2 tubes and hardens soon after you mix them? Gosh, I've used it before a few times....... oh well, didn't work well anyway.

So if you can remember what Andi, thanks.
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Fergy, thanks :) ! He's reading and looking at your information from both posts now. I'm sure they'll be more questions but we certainly do appreciate everyone sharing the info they can!

Viktoria, thanks too :) ! We are thinking this might possible for one year anyway, and trying to do it on the cheap this year and then next year put one on the back on the workshop that would be permanent.

I'll check for the shade cloth you mention. 60-70 %. Don't want to cook my babies :) :o

THanks everyone! BUNCHES! :) :D
jay dee

poly house

Post by jay dee »

Jane - Try going to www.farmtek.com and look at all the various supplies needed to build your house. You can see what is needed and may be able to pick up the supplies local. This is a great place for all your farming supplies and I certainly think flower farming is important!

jay dee
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Jay Dee? The site didn't work? :( Are you sure that's the correct one? Thanks!
jay dee

poly house

Post by jay dee »

OK, I'm looking at the catalog and it says www.FarmTek.com but here is the telephone # too - 800-327-6835. You probably should ask for a catalog too. I tried the link I posted and I couldn't get it to work either but maybe they are having server problems. I have used it in the past. This place is in Dyersville, IA and they have all things farm related and give fast service.

jay dee
jay dee

poly house

Post by jay dee »

OK, just tried the second link and it still didn't work. My only guess is a server problem and maybe it will work later.

jay dee
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Okay, was just wondering if it was me or their server :) I'll try later then! :) Thanks again!
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Thanks Alexa! It worked! :)
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

That is the place to go, a friend just ordered one of their greenhouses and I was waiting to get my catalog back to post. I just love their stuff!
jay dee

poly house

Post by jay dee »

Sure wish I knew enough computer "talk" to post a link - thanks for covering for the illiterate!

We love this catalog - hubby and I fight over it when it comes in the mail.

jay dee
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I ordered our last hoop house from farmtek - metal hoops that came in pieces. It was easier to transport this way, and cheaper than our others, but it doesn't seem as sturdy as the single piece hoops... Will still work, though.

As Viktoria said, you must purchase UV treated poly or the sun will destroy it quickly. White poly can be used for overwintering and then removed in the summer to prevent deadly heat buildup. In our poly covered hoop house it got well above 100 degrees even with fans going so we removed it and replaced it with shade cloth. We also use 60% - and bought a very sturdy, knitted shade cloth that doesn't need tape or grommets. It has been up on our hoop houses, year round, for several years now with no sign of wearing out. For a 14' x 48' hoop house it was about $200 for the shade cloth.

When we used to cover our houses with poly in the winter we would tack it down to the baseboard with strips of wood and then tie it down with batten strips. The batten strip comes on a roll and you tie it to one side of the base board, throw it over the top and tie it to the other side. It is easy to use and you never have to worry about it blowing away in the wind.

The metal hoop houses are indestructible. Personally I don't think they are too expensive. Check them out at farmtek.

Good luck!

Chris
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Wow! A huge catalog even online! The prices sound great, but alas..........it might be some time before I can put the money into a permanent one.

But I'll continue to look for the covering there. Still havent' found it as I'm finding too much else to wish for on their site! LOL :)

thanks everyone!
fiveacrefarmgirl

Re: Hoop greenhouse questions galore! ANYONE?

Post by fiveacrefarmgirl »

We were just given a hoophouse, with metal hoops...How does one attach these hoops to what, to hold it down? :-?
and how does one attach the poly covering to the hoops..
Any help would be appreciated.... :???:
Five Acre Farmgirl
:wink: :D :)
Five Acre Farmgirl
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Farmgirl,

Generally there are pipes driven into the ground, with several inches of pipe out of the ground, then the hoops rest in those pipes. You build a treated lumber baseboard around the bottom with some of the wood in the ground and the rest above the ground up to the height of the pipe you drove in.

In the past I've used 2 x 10s so you have a base along each side. Drill holes through those boards and through the pipes and then put some carriage bolts, nuts and washers to hold the boards to the pipes. The hoops set into those pipes and rest on the top carriage bolt. Your covering can be secured to the treated wood on each side. If you want to close the ends build walls on each end with doors/vents, or whatever else you might want. I've only used them as cold frames for overwintering perennials so left the ends open.

There are a lot of instructions and pictures online and even some youtube videos showing how to build a hoop house you might be able to find in a quick search, but hopefully that gives you a little idea.

Chris
fiveacrefarmgirl

Post by fiveacrefarmgirl »

Thanks sooo much for your reply.....Will pass this on to my Husband...He will be happy to read this. :D ...[/img][
Five Acre Farmgirl
New Topic Post Reply