Okay questions about when I can put stuff out in GH?

Discuss greenhouses and general propagating topics. For propagating a specific type of plant, post in that specific plant forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Okay questions about when I can put stuff out in GH?

Post by wishiwere »

I have tomatoes that are getting big for the britches! HELP!

Can I put them out in Greenhouse even the night temps still get down to 40 degrees? Will they die, or just not grow well (which is okay, b/c man they are huge!) Okay.......... I started them too early! They said 6-8 weeks and lied! They are only a 5 old and too big already!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Deb118

Post by Deb118 »

Jane,
I started seeds in the greenhouse a month ago. Unheated! And their ok. I'm thinking the cool nights, is just going to slow them a bit, but we're still talking a month till they can go in the garden, right? :D
"Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Yeah, probably 3 weeks before I'll put them in the garden. There are 75, about 40 I'll keep the rest are mom's and sisters. But they have nearly outgrown the light cart (about 18 inches high!) I was afraid of putting the plants from that to the 40 degree nights is the problem. Do you think they'd make it out there when the nights temps are so low?

I'll be repotting them deeper also before they go out, so that would probably help too.
Deb118

Post by Deb118 »

:???: I'm not real sure what to tell you, Jane :oops: But even though the temps are in the 40's outside, the inside should keep some of the warmth it soaked up in the day. I make sure I close mine up before the temps start falling in the afternoon.
"Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Oh definitely. I have 5 gallon buckets (only about 6 so far filled with water that got about 75 today, so they are helping too. Plus there's a small ceramic heater working at night but it can't keep up of course, just keeps the temps about 40 with these 31 degree nights. All week is supposed to be about the same for lows here.

Just don't want to have to buy plants after all the work on these you know :) Maybe I'll try a few of each for a couple nights first :)
Deb118

Post by Deb118 »

That sounds like a plan :D If a few survive for a few nights, then it should be safe. After all... it's GOTTA start warming up, sooner or later :???: :D
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Well not at night apparently! I got it to stay down to about 80 in the GH today,but that's with the door screen open and the fan on pulling air in. At night is when I worry though. I've got 4 more vents I can open, but no other heat as yet :( One day........ Just checked and I had forgotten to turn the heater back on today. I've only got one extension to it till we can run electricity out there too. So many plans, so little daylight! LOL

Thanks Deb. I think it's a plan too. I'll try it tomorrow after it's warmed a bit Brrrrrrrr...it's getting warmer at least out there. Up to 51 , that's good.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Put those darn things in the ground! As long as they aren't freezing at night they should be fine. :roll: I have all the Brugmansia in the ground already so they should be just fine. :wink:
Deb118

Post by Deb118 »

Karma! She's up in MI!!! There's no frickin way they'll live outside. TOO chancy for a hard freeze yet.
kHT

Post by kHT »

You mean you don't have those water teepees? Or a bucket to toss over them in the evening? Or even wrap your tomatoe cages with plastic.
Deb118

Post by Deb118 »

Those things my be fine a little later. But in these parts, the ground is just too cold for those little roots :oops:
kHT

Post by kHT »

General rule of thumb is, don't set anything outside until after the last Frost Date for your area unless you sit them next to the house if your greenhouse is getting to hot. A fan is a must for the greenhouse to cool them down. Also to have the temp jump up and down isn't good for your plants either. Lots to learn if you are going the greenhouse route, I'm sure your local library would have some good books or even a google search. :wink:
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

The temps are staying about 10-15 degrees above what it is outside. Problem is, out last frost date is 3 weeks away and the plants are huge! It still gets down to 32 at night here and water towers are out dear. There are 75 of these things to cover at night! ROFL

Yes, there's a fan and heater in the gh, but not big ones, so its down to about 40 at night, currently about 54, hoping it keeps that tonight as I've added buckets of water to dissipate heat during the night too.
jay dee

greenhouse temps

Post by jay dee »

I have had my tomato seedlings in my cheapo plastic greenhouses for weeks. The seedlings will be fine as long as the temps don't go below freezing. I did bring them back inside for two days while winter blew through here this week-end but they are back out now and will remain there unless it dips into the 30's again. If night time temps are in the 50's, I don't even zip the door closed.

My seedlings are blooming!

jay dee
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Thanks Jay Dee, I was worried the 40's would hurt them after being all comfy in here all day and night you know? I'm going to put some out there tonight and see how they do. It stayed about 40 last night, so that should be good. :)
notmartha
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by notmartha »

my mators are about 6-8in high and have been in the GH for 2wks and they made it through our cold snap!!! the gh went down to 40!
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Thanks, I'll pot them up and do that then. That was what I was wondering, if after being in here for 4 -5 weeks under lights if it would kill them if I put in the gh now wiht the temps to 40 at night :)
kHT

Post by kHT »

Drastic changes will effect the tomatoes as they will the Brugmansia and Datura of which are in the same family. So be warned that the diseases that these carry and will get are dangerous and can wipe out lots of things.
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

okay so just make me worry more :( I know stress isn't good, but would it be more stressful to not get the sunlight and room they need in bigger pots out there, or in here where it's warm constantly, but smaller pots to prevent taking over the house? Geepers I think dh was right! I started them WAYYyyyyyyyyyyy to soon!
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Try hardening them off before putting them in the ground. Leave them out until late evening for about a week, then put them in the ground. If you have a frost warning, cover them up with straw. It is a good barrier and is easy to pull off for daytime.

Ginger
New Topic Post Reply