Greenhouse from garage doors

Discuss greenhouses and general propagating topics. For propagating a specific type of plant, post in that specific plant forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Greenhouse from garage doors

Post by Ginger »

What do you all think about building a greenhouse out of old garage doors that have window's in them? A friend had a friend that gave him about 400 doors! We were trying to think of something to do with them and he thought about greenhouses. He will have to seperate the panels and thinks two solid panels at ground level and then panels with windows the rest of the way up. Do you think it would work?

Ginger
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Would he use windows for the top also? Sounds interesting....... This way you could insulate the bottom from snow and cold winds, which would help to lengthen the season. Make sure he takes pics as he does it :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

The humidity inside a gh would make all the wood high maintanence. If the're metal doors, you'll have a big heat transfer. Well worth it though,if they were given to you.
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

I think they are a vinyl type, but may be metal. They are insulated though, so would that help the heat transfer OED? I think he does plan to put panels with windows as the roof also. If he does get one designed and built I will send you pic's if it is actually usable!

Ginger
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

If there insulated, that's great. Make sure you put some kind of caulk in between each section.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I look forward to seeing pics! I love the idea of recycling things on hand. :)
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

He is still working on the design etc. I will sure send some pics if it actually happens!

Ginger
New Topic Post Reply