Acer seeds

Discuss greenhouses and general propagating topics. For propagating a specific type of plant, post in that specific plant forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

AJC

Acer seeds

Post by AJC »

Hi All, been a while since I posted.........Hi KHT :)

I have a few different species of acer (japanese maples) I have tried a couple of times to grow them from seed but with little success, does anyone here have any useful tips and hints i can use? i will try any and all :)
What goes around, comes around!
So am I coming or going ?
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Hey AJC, been wondering how you are doing? Did ya give them the cold chile for a while? Toss them in the freezer and then plant. Let me know how it goes. I have some in there now and will be pulling them out in Jan.
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

AJC, the Acers vary considerable in when to collect and plant. You might want to try posting this in the Jap Garden forum here. Those guys are Acer Aces! :wink:
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

I have had success with seeds in the past Alan. I picked the seeds in October, placed them in the bottom of the fridge in moist (not wet) peat) and planted them out on a heated incubater in or around March April
About 15 sprouted
I killed a few early with too much haste to pot them on
I killed a few more later with keeping them too wet
The frost killed a couple
I finished up with about 7 good plants
This is one of them, and is my pride and joy
It is well worth trying. You have nothing to lose
Attachments
fromseed02.JPG
fromseed14.JPG
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
AJC

Post by AJC »

Thanks for the info peeps :)

I knew about the fridge bit, its do i lay the seeds on top or do they need to be so deep?
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

Jush shaken through the damp peat Alan (in a plastic bag). It is NOT a seed tray or planting that you are doing
When they come to be planted out I just buried the seed and no more. Not sure if that was the best thing or not though :)
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

This is called "stratification". We do it at school each year with about 75% germination results. Hope this helps!....p :wink:

http://www.treeshrubseeds.com/treatingseed.htm
AJC

Post by AJC »

thanks for the replies, I will start them off today, I will pop half in the fridge and half I will pot up and leave outside all winter, see how i get on, I will let you know the results next spring :)
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

So, any luck with the Acer seeds? I would love to get my hands on some seed from any pretty Japanese maples. Here in the forest, I have to mow billions and billions of baby sugar maples, even though I try to rake up all the propellers each spring. Makes for an interesting “grass” substitute (hehe). Makes me think any maples will grow well here. Have one sugar maple that has a trunk over 11’ around!

wanda
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

So, any luck with the Acer seeds? I would love to get my hands on some seed from any pretty Japanese maples. Here in the forest, I have to mow billions and billions of baby sugar maples, even though I try to rake up all the propellers each spring. Makes for an interesting “grass” substitute (hehe). Makes me think any maples will grow well here. Have one sugar maple that has a trunk over 11’ around!

wanda
AJC

Post by AJC »

out of about 30 seeds i have so far only 6 seedlings to show for it, but that might be the seeds rather than the method so i htink it works :)

thanks all
Gruntfuttock

Post by Gruntfuttock »

Here is the method I used.

Fill a clay pot with gritty sand. Plant the seeds on the surface and sprinkle more sand on the top. Some seeds are covered to about half an inch some are not covered at all. This gives some variety of exposure to frosts etc.

Leave the pot outside all winter.

Come spring, hey presto, it worked for hibiscus as well.
Zone: This is England we don't do zones. Pick any number between 2 and 11

http://www.zyxwv.co.uk/

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

I had a tray which didn't 'sprout' in the first two seasons. I left the tray outside last winter and two days ago when I checked it lo and behold about 5 little maples have appeared :)
Who said gardening doesn't need patience? :-?
Attachments
DSC00646.JPG
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

Hun Ki Dory
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

:lol: :lol: Sam, Mother Nature is testing ya! :lol: :lol: I love her little surprises as I dump what I don't think is going to sprout to come back later to find new plants. I have learned to mark each dumping area! One never knows what might pop up later! :wink:
New Topic Post Reply