What to propagate now?

Discuss greenhouses and general propagating topics. For propagating a specific type of plant, post in that specific plant forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

fiveacrefarmgirl
USDA Zone: 5

What to propagate now?

Post by fiveacrefarmgirl »

I am new to propagating, what should I be propagating now? :???:
I am in zone 5.
Five Acre Farmgirl
:lol: :D :wink:
Five Acre Farmgirl
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: What to propagate now?

Post by Chris_W »

What kind of plants do you like to grow? If you are growing perennials, now is the time to be dividing and moving your bearded Iris, you can still divide hostas (I do that all summer) and you can start rooting softwood cuttings of different plants. We are rooting caryopteris and perennial hibiscus right now.

Pretty soon I'm going to be building a vegetable garden myself. Have peppers and tomatoes in pots, but am wondering myself what kinds of seeds I can plant that have a short harvest time. Probably should start a new post for that question myself.
govgirl75

Post by govgirl75 »

Chris,
Due to circumstances beyond my control, I am only just now getting most of my vege garden planted this week. I looked at the maturity dates on some of the seed packs I had already bought and they say between 55 and 65 days to maturity. I think I will have enough time to get some nice beans, squash and pumpkins. Also, I noticed that the bean seeds I planted last week were up in 3 days and now have their second set of true leaves. My guess is because the ground is so warm, germination and growth have been accelerated some. I am also putting in the tomato and pepper plants I bought over a month ago. Hopefully, they will take off, too.
Maybe you should start a thread for those of us who are late to put in the garden.
glo
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

You're not the only one who is late planting, Glo. My DH started planting his garden around Memorial day. I, on the other hand, only got my square foot garden started a couple weeks ago. :oops: I'm starting small , with just a 4' x 4' garden, but I have the materials to fix up another one. I have only planted tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, herbs, and celery. I've never grown celery before, so thought I'd give it a go. I know there are crops that do well in cooler temps, so if I get the other 4' x 4' put together I'll plant some of those crops. I'm hoping my little garden will do well. :???:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Chris you said you could propogate perrinnial hibiscus now? How do you do that?
I woudl love to get some more plants from the one I have now. It is blooming like crazy and really a pretty flower. It is Hibiscus Pink Swirl.
Welcome to the forum FiveAcreFarmGirl!! Man, gonna have to shorten that handle Its hard to type it all out without making a typo :lol: :lol:

Ginger
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
newtohosta-no more

Ginger wrote:Welcome to the forum FiveAcreFarmGirl!! Man, gonna have to shorten that handle Its hard to type it all out without making a typo :lol: :lol:

Ginger
:lol: We'll just have to call her FAFG for short. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

fiveacrefarmgirl

Post by fiveacrefarmgirl »

Thanks for all the replies..How about just Farmgirl?
That suits me just fine.... :wink: :D :) :P
Five Acre Farmgirl
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Farmgirl it is then! Hope I did not offend you, sometimes I get carried away :lol: :lol:

Ginger
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
newtohosta-no more

Farmgirl it will be then! :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

New Topic Post Reply