Walking Through the Valley Again

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

Lionitus

Walking Through the Valley Again

Post by Lionitus »

I've known this was coming but no amount of preparation helps. I thought I could just do this knowing it was the best thing but I'm struggling terribly. Yesterday, our Veterinarian said he thinks it's time for Zippy to be put down. We were in the doctor's office because Zippy had a bad bout of vomiting and could not clear his airway to get breath. About halfway to the doctor (after I called them in a panic and they told me to bring him over immediately) Zippy calmed down and was breathing ok again. My husband is traveling for work this week so I asked the doctor if I could take Zippy home and have an opportunity to talk to my husband before I allowed Zippy to be taken from us.

On one side of my valley is the mountain representing Zippy's demise and on the other is the mountain representing my desire to be able to keep touching him and talking to him and living with him. It seems so unfair to have to do this for the fourth time in a year. Actually, our poor Emmitt passed away at home, peacefully. But nontheless, we lost him too.

I know I'm being whiny. I have to put Zippy first and I know his quality of life has dwindled down to his not being comfortable anymore. He looks frightened and is very weak. But he still leans into me and purrs (purs?) and knows me. This is torturous.

Thanks for "listening" everyone. I know you all understand. Please say a prayer for us.

Lionitus
Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
- Victor Hugo
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

My thoughts are with you and Zippy. I'm starting down that same path with my Westie, it should be a long while yet, but it is so hard as you see it coming.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

{{Lionitus }} Although we'll be going through this some time in the near future, I am not sure how I will handle that final decision either. :cry:

Just know that either way, we are here to listen and offer a shoulder of support a prayer in our hearts that you will make the decision for what's best for your kitty when the time comes. It's hard to lose a freind and even harder to be the one that makes that decision to say a final good-bye with love in our hearts.

Prayers and {{hugs}} to you and your dh and Little Zippy too.
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Snow

Post by Snow »

It is absolutely one of the most difficult (for many of us, THE most difficult) decisions you will ever have to make. When it was clear that our Mariah was no longer able to hold down any food, and no medicine was helping, we knew that any remaining quality of life was gone. It was heart-wrenching. I do believe that animals value their lives as much as we do, so it is not a decision to be made lightly. Bless your heart - you will make the right choice, at the right time.
~*Snow*~
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

My prayers are with you and Zippy. Thinking of you.

((Lionitus and Zippy))
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

(((((Lionitius and Zippy)))))
I've never been in this situation but in my heart I know it is one of the most difficult things one could ever have to do. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Aww darn! I have had to make this decision also, and it was so hard to do. The only comfort I got was the vet let me and DH hold Temper1 and love on her till she passed. That was the first time I ever saw my DH cry, and that broke my heart as much as loosing Temper1.
The one thing we did not do, and I regret it to this day, is bring her body back and bury her on our land. DH just could not go through that, but now I wish I had cause then I could go visit her whenever I wanted.

Bless you and Zippy, we are here if you need us.

Ginger
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

:cry: I am SO sorry Lionitus. I had to make that decision a few months ago with my sweet Taffy and it still breaks my heart to think about it. You know in your heart that it's what needs to be done but that sure doesn't make it any easier to tell your sweet baby goodbye. My thoughts are with you. Know that we all understand your agony. (((HUG)))
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

((((((((Lionitus/Zippy)))))))))
Looking back on the 20 or so dogs that have enriched my life, I can remember one or two that I tried to hard to keep. I see now, that it was MY unwillingness to let go. Only our furkids suffer for that. You gave Zippy the long, wonderful gift of your friendship. Give him what he needs now. You WILL see him again! Prayers sent! :cry:
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

I'm so very sorry to hear this news Lionitus! My thoughts and prayers will be with you. I can't even imagine that this is the fourth time you have to endure this and my heart goes out to you.
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

It is such a hard thing to do. I would have to take a moment to count up all the pets over the years that I've had to put down. Each time I say to myself that I will never go through it again, and then after a while, I realize that I'm depriving myself of the companionship and depriving an animal (or two, or three or four) of a home. My pets are all ones that wouldn't have a home if I hadn't taken them in.
So, love your boy for the time you have left, and listen to your vet and your heart. It's the hardest part of pet ownership. The ones I regret the most were the ones I struggled longer to hang on to, and they ended up suffering far more than they needed to. The others I can now look back and know that I did the right thing, and that's a comfort.
((((((Lionitus and Zippy)))))
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

OC sure understands your feelings

Post by oldcoot »

Over the last four or five years, he has had to go this same agony with each of his three aging doggies. As each one readced 14-15, tey seems to just fall apart..OC lost his last friend and compannion, Pooper Dawg last summer. STILL miss that wagging tail every time he eats a sandwhich. Pooper always got his share and LOVED Tomato and Chicken best of all...Had the sweetest eyes you have ever looked into

Let us know how things are going. We are here for you as most of us have or had pets..This is oned Friendly, caring family. Let us share you HARD times as well as your good times...John, that Old Coot
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

(((Lionitus)))) I KNOW how hard this is for you. We are waiting for the time when we will have to make that decision with our dog. (she's 18 1/2 now) I dread it, and I pray that she will pass away peacefully in her sleep so we won't be forced to make the choice when the time comes. Very selfish of us, I know, but we love our furkids so much and it's heartbreaking thinking about losing them. Talk to your DH soon and then look into your heart and ask yourself "Is Zippy in pain or too tired and sick to go on anymore?" You'll know the answer and be able to make that tough decision. When the time comes you'll grieve for him and we will share your grief.
God has a special place for all His creatures and I believe we will see them again in a better place.
I'll be saying prayers for you and your family.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Lionitus

Post by Lionitus »

As always, your compassion, concern and encouragement is overwhelmingly wonderful. You have all echoed my exact thoughts. My husband and I had our talk and it looks like it will be tomorrow. I too was hoping so very much that he would "fall asleep" at home, peacefully and in the comfort of his own bed with us at his side. Alas, it does not look as though that will happen. My greatest fear is that he will struggle as he deeply dislikes being at the vet's office. Hopefully, it will go easier.

I'm scared silly and can't sleep. I am sure this is right though because I don't think he's comfortable anymore. I'll keep all your words, thoughts and prayers in my heart and mind and check in tomorrow.

Thank you SO much for the support.

Lionitus
Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
- Victor Hugo
Snow

Post by Snow »

Try not to put yourself inside his little head, Lionitus. He's ready for sleep. He's not thinking that you are going to abandon him, or anything like that. Just hold him when he's being euthsanized, , and cuddle him in the way that he loves, and he'll fall asleep peacefully. And he'll be greatful.
~*Snow*~
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

(((((Lionitus)))))

I ditto what everyone else says....I also have been there, and you will be glad that he isn't suffering anymore....

I will be thinking of you tomorrow! :(
scootersbear

Post by scootersbear »

My heart goes out to you...1 of the worst days of my life was when my doberman passed and 1 of the best days of my life was when I was READY we went to the pound and found my new best friend. A wonderful black lab that had been in another pound for 3 weeks and was transfered to the pound I found him to at give him another chance to be adopted and afterwards I found out he was set to be put asleep later that night if he wasn't adopted. My time spent with my doberman was special and will not forget him but his death was the road to allow another dog to live....you'll never forget but your open heart just might be the path to another friend...in time...my prayers
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

((((Lionitus))))) This will be a difficult day, but know that so many of us are thinking of you. :(
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Glad we have so many pet lovers here

Post by oldcoot »

Don't worry about putting him to sleep. They will give him a shot and it's all over. OC had Pooper Dawg cradled in his arms and when he dropped off to sleep, he just relaxed and for the first time in months he HAD no pain. Vet said his hips were complete gone, that he would never get well and was in a lot of pain. Told us it was time to think of DAWG and do what was best for him.......But now is sure easier than watching him try to stand up, not make it and start wimpering... Love you pet and do what is best for him.. That Old Coot named John
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

I'm so sorry.
I just seen this and I am VERY sorry for what you are going through.
I also have been there, NOT easy :(

Just know your are doing what is best for your friend.
You are in my thoughts.
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
New Topic Post Reply