Took our doggie to the vet.

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

newtohosta-no more

Took our doggie to the vet.

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Seems like problems with our furkids are rampant in this forum lately. :(
The other day our doggie got loose , and my DS brought her back and all seemed fine. The next day she had a small abrasion on her upper back leg. We didn't think much of it. Just figured she scraped her leg ,so we cleaned it as best we could. Later in the day she had problems getting up. Uh oh. Now we started to wonder what was going on? Heart problems? Stroke? Arthritis in her hip? So many things to consider since she is an old dog. She licked and licked the area on her leg and it looked much bigger than yesterday. When we did get her up she seemed to be dragging that back leg and it looked swollen. Now we started to think that maybe she had been hit by a car and had either a broken bone or a dislocation. We stood her up in her "bathtub" ( a kiddie pool) and gently washed her off. She seemed to want to stand and hobble around the yard. Called the vet's office and took her in today. We actually steeled ourselves for the possibility that she would need to be put done. She's old and I would not even consider putting her through a surgery. The vet looked her over and didn't think anything was actually broken ,but thinks that she torn some ligaments in her knee. After shaving off the fur he also discovered that it's more likely that she had been attacked by another animal...probably a dog. She had some puncture type wounds. So he gave her two injections, cleaned her wounds and we will be medicating her for the next week or so. Everyday we will flush the wound area with warm water and apply an antiseptic to it. Poor baby. She never whimpered or growled, but towards the end of the exam she did bark a bit. When we got her home (much to the relief of my DD) she layed down and slept for most of the afternoon. She is also wearing a cone on her head to keep her from licking the wounds. She got up on her own a bit ago and ate a whole can of her dog food and drank some water. She also seemed to be getting around a bit better. I'm hoping that she will recover from her injuries. My DH is off this week and will keep a close eye on her. Please send positive thoughts her way. She's a sweet old girl.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Ah Joan {{HUGS}} I'm so sorry to hear about your precious girl, what is her name? Prayers on the way {{Hugs to puppy}}

Debbie

patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Awww Joan. :( I hope your old girl is feeling better soon.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Man oh man Joan!! Poor baby!! Ginger's cone is off and now you have it.....Shoot.....I hope everything goes good with the healing....Give the old girl a hug from me....Keep us posted on how she does....((((Joan))))
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

(((((Joan))))), I hope your sweet baby heals quickly and will be feeling fine very soon.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Hopefully it's more soreness than seriousness.
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

Another conehead puppy!?!? I does sound like a bite and hopefully there is just a little infection that will get better in no time. I assume she has her shots, so thank God you don't have to worry about rabies! Hugs to (((((((((((((Joan and Doggie.))))))))))))
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Post by Pandora »

Awww, Joan, sure hope she is feeling better soon. Those cones look so funny, but I am sure most animals hate it. Too bad we can't just make them understand not to bother the booboo.
Lionitus

Post by Lionitus »

Oh Dear, I hope doggie gets better soon.

((((doggie))))
Snow

Post by Snow »

Oh man - poor baby. Glad you were on top of it - and hopefully it will heal itself.
~*Snow*~
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

My goodness, Joan, that must have been a real scare. I'm so glad that she got some shots and that she will heal in time. Poor baby. They worry the kajeebers out of us sometimes. Yes, please tell us her name, and how about a photo if you have one? I send healing thoughts to your little girl and hope her wound heals swiftly.
newtohosta-no more

Our doggies name is Crystal and today she seems a tad better. Seems to be putting more weight on that leg and does seem to be getting up and down a bit easier. She is still pretty sore and bruised. The leg is still swollen and she drags it. Actually she might always do that from now on if the ligaments don't heal, but that's okay. She can manage fine on three legs. Like I said....I would never put her through a surgery. She just turned 18 and according to the vets office (taking into account her weight) she would be approximately 96-100 if she were human. We irrigated the wound area with warm water and I applied the antiseptic solution. She didn't like that at all because of the tenderness in that area. She has had all her shots and she does not like the collar at all! She will take one of her meds with no problem , but doesn't care for the capsules ,so we have to hide it in her food. Thanks to all for the kind words and well wishes. We are going to do what we can and keep our fingers crossed this week and hope all will be okay.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

Joan, I'm so sorry to hear of Crystal's injury and I am much relieved to hear that she's doing better. :) Your right, seems like our forum has had more than its share recently!
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

How is Crystal doing now? Can we get an update?
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
newtohosta-no more

Morning all. Crystal is feeling a bit perkier now and seems to be able to get up and down without too much trouble. What a relief!!! She's so pitiful though with that cone on her head.......not sure if it's the added weight of the thing or just the way she's feeling when she's wearing it, but she hangs her head down. I'll have to try and get a pic of her. DH took her for a little walk yesterday and she enjoyed that very much. She would normally take about a 1/2 mile to 1 mile walk a day and even though she gets tired now she insists on it. Some of the swelling seems to have gone down and is now mainly in the lower part of the leg. That leg still seems to be weak and she does still drag the foot a bit. She's a mixed hound breed and in her younger days she'd get away and literally run for 24 hrs. straight with her nose to the ground. Once she got on the trail of something she'd not let up. She doesn't do much in the way of running anymore, which is fine with me because she is going deaf and her eyesite isn't so good either. Bless her heart.....she still thinks of herself as a puppy though. :)
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

Thanks so much for that heartening update, Joan. I'm so glad that Crystal is coming along and not fighting the cone. My best to that sweet baby and much hope for an early recovery.
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

Sometimes, I think critters duck their head when they wear a cone, just because they can sense there is something over their head.

I am so glad she is getting better. I'll bet she won't drag that foot much at all by the end of the week.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Awwww, Joan.....so glad she is doing better!! :D Brut Hilda aka Ginger, never led on she had that cone on.....plowed through us and anything in her way....:lol: Do take a picture if you can, I would love to see her!
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

Aww poor thing!
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Joan, I'm so glad to hear that Crystal is doing better. :D Wow! 18 years old? You must take wonderful care of her. I'd love to see a pic of your sweet girl too.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
New Topic Post Reply