Anyone ever have a cat bite/bites?

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

LucyGoose

Anyone ever have a cat bite/bites?

Post by LucyGoose »

Well, I just got my first......guess who from?? My boy Curtis! :o .. :evil: .. :(

I thought I would start a new thread.....

I go today after work to see the boy. We get in a private room, they bring me food, a brush and comb.....so just me and Curtie were together. Bonding. He ate a little.....I brushed him....he loves that.....after awhile he kept looking to the bench or floor or the ceiling...and he would cry.....so, I figure he is trying to escape or lets say wanting to.....I pick him up and go to the door to the back of the room. That door is to the back where everyone is working.......I just step one step out and saw the vet and said I was done with him, like where do you want him....and no sooner I said that he clamps down on my pointer finger on my right hand and just kept chomping it..... :eek: ....The vet yells.....DROP HIM......I did.....onto this counter that was RIGHT THERE.....he just kept chomping.... :eek: ......OMG!!!!!! when he got done he jumps down and they were all scrambling.....taking me to the sink and getting Curtis....Talk about pain.....OMG....it was like he used it like a fricken hot dog or something.....I have holes every where on that finger and a couple on the back of my hand.....they cleaned it....I kept my eyes closed....started feeling pukie, too.....so, off to the clinic I go to get antibiotics....I had to fill out this paper for the state just saying I was bit and who he belonged to and did he have his shots (which he does of course)......Cat bites are very bad I guess.....I got a pain shot in the butt too.....this thing hurts.....but I had to laugh, the little girl at the vet said to me, * you didn't cry or cuss*...:lol: I said, *I didn't know you could use the *F* word here.....:lol: Another lady thats been there forever says.....* with cat bites you can use the *F* word*.....:lol:

Soooooo Mr. Curtis is staying the weekend.... :evil:

I still love him...... :D
Ed_B
USDA Zone: 4b

Post by Ed_B »

Hey Kathleen sure hope your OK, and the fact you still loves the dam cat makes me wonder.
Up here if a cat bites somebody we do the L & S thing, so you must be kinder soul than me.

take care
Ed
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

I'm glad you got your wounds taken care of and started on antibiotics. :D I hope the pain subsides quickly. Yes, the bites can be quite serious. You did the right thing to get in to the doctor right away. Feel better soon! (((((LucyGoose)))))
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:lol: Ed I have to laugh.....DH said he was lucky it wasn't him he bit..... :o

Yes, I still love the boy.....He did it out of either fear or he was saying he is NOT going back there......He just wants to come home.....I will now for sure always remember this and NEVER carry him to the back.....

Also everyone loves him there and always talk about how good he is..... :???: I was totally caught off guard by this....

Man, my finger hurts..... :lol:
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I'm sorry, LG, that Curtis got upset and bit you. I'm sure your fella didn't mean to hurt you. He was just upset. :(
And thank goodness you went right to the doc and got antibiotics. Bites like that, especially near a joint...like in the finger, can turn into a serious problem. A man at our church was hospitalized twice from cat bites and scatches. And for the record...a human bite is just as bad or worse! Our mouths are full of nasty bacteria!!
I'm happy to hear you still love him. Poor scared baby. :???:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Squash Blossom

Post by Squash Blossom »

Be R-E-A-L-L-Y careful, be very observant of your wounds and don't hesitate to seek professional care immediately if you get to feeling ill in any way, shape or form.

Cat Scratch Fever is one dangerous problem if you get it...people can actually end-up in the hospital and, if severe enough, the problems can be life-threatening.

You're probably in good shape (outside of the obvious wounds) since this all happened in an environment where you got professional care immediately but do be careful.

There was a program on Primetime or one of those type shows a couple of years ago about Cat Scratch Fever. One story involved a tragic accident where a woman's cat tried to jump over a high wrought iron fence that had those sharp points on every post. The poor cat got impaled on the sharp points.

When the owner, a world famous pianist, tried to free the cat and help it, the cat attacked her viciously, as any injured or frightened cat will. She doctored her own wounds and didn't think much about them until she suddenly got terribly ill and was rushed to a hospital.

I think she was hospitalized for something like a month and suffered enough permanent damage that her career as a pianist was over...but she was happy to have survived and her cat survived.

Ann
To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Oh My Goodness Lucy,that is terrible!! I'm so sorry curtis did that to you, but ya know he must of been very upset to bite you, especially if he has never ever bitten u before.

I am so glad they vet people helped you and took care of you and that u went to hospital and got it seen to. HUGS I hope it doesn't get infected and that your finger soon is healed. HUGS

Wilbur bites me quite often, nothing like that though. He just gives me a nip when he has had enough petting or he will pretend he is going to bite then jumps down to get off the couch. He doesn't bite as much as he use to thank goodness and knows enough not to bite me anymore when i shove his pills down his face.

Take care of that finger and hand and I hope Curtis will not do that ever again!

Debbie

LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Well, now that it is morning.....man is it swelled....and really hurts....I have to work all day, too....I really can't believe he did me like that......it wasn't just one bite, but lots of chomps....Well, I am going to try to call the vet as they are just there till noon today, and see what's going on with Curtis today..... :(
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Ouch. Yes, I have had a cat bite my finger. It hurts something fierce! It's unbelievable how much power they have in those jaws. I'm glad you got it looked after right away, and I hope it doesn't take long to heal. My sis gets bit and scratched a lot (she's a vet tech) and she says the key to staying out of trouble is to get it cleaned thoroughly right away, and then get antibiotics.
I know that Curtis was just upset or scared. I hope he's doing better today, and I hope you will be able to get past wondering if he's going to do that again.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

They do hurt don't they!? Been there and done that.
I'm glad you went straight to the docs! A cat bite can get VERY nasty.
Poor lil Curtis, I know he was scared.
mmmmmm be sure and take a carrier when you bring him home LOL.
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

:o OMGoodness Kathleen! You poor thing... cat bites do hurt! I hope your Curtis is feeling better soon. I'm sure he was scared or hurting and didn't mean to take it out on you! Let us know how you are doing!
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Lucy how is your finger doing? Has the swelling gone down any?

How is Curtis doing? Does he still have a fever and did they find out why he had a fever? Does he have an infection from the surgery?

Take care HUGS
Debbie

LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Tundra_Queen wrote:Lucy how is your finger doing? Has the swelling gone down any?

How is Curtis doing? Does he still have a fever and did they find out why he had a fever? Does he have an infection from the surgery?
Well, I just got up.....an hour late.....it is still swelled....I can't believe how this thing hurts....

Curtis? I do not know....I tried calling on my break yesterday, but I only had so much time, and I never got off hold...so I hung up....They think the fever/infection IS from the surgery.....

Thanks for thinking of me.... :D
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Oh my gosh Lucy!! You poor girl! Something must have really spooked Curtis for him to lay into you like that!
Cat bites hurt like heck and can sure be dangerous!
Please be sure to take care of your hand and stay on those antibiotics. AYYIYIYIYI! You poor thing!
Justme

Post by Justme »

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! OUCHHHHH. Man, and you have to work on top of it :evil:

Don't blame you for not blaming the cat, he is sick and scared, and wants to go home.

Hope you get better soon, Curtis also.

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
bengal

Post by bengal »

Lucy, you need to get the infection looked at ASAP! Please do not delay!

FYI: link from very reputable, peer-reviewed journal on bacteriologic analysis of cat & dog bites.
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/abstract/340/2/85

and, from the CDC:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol8no2/01-0139.htm

and this:
http://www.avma.org/reference/zoonosis/zndogcat.asp

There's lots more info available online of course. And you may be fine with time; I'm not trying to panic you. Still, I think you should seek immediate medical attention. Please don't put it off.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

bengal, now your scaring me.....I did go to the doctor like within I bet 2 hours.....so, yes I did get antibiotic's pretty quick.....What I am worried about is it's still swelled and I can't move it...and it's somewhat numb.,.....Oh man......looks like I might need to have them cut it open and clean it from in inside...... :o ....oh man.....I will see what it looks like tomorrow.....I'm off work, so I can go....

Oh, and the little monster is home and happy......He had an abscess in the incision and it broke open and drained.....all is well (I hope for good now) and he has 2 different antibiotic's to take......Brother!! :lol: He just came home this afternoon and he is so happy now!!

Thanks everyone!!! :D
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Just wondering how you're doing today, LG. You've been on the antibiotics now for 3-4 days, so I hope you see an improvement. If it feels worse (still swollen and painful) then go see the Dr. again. A skin infection is one thing, but an infection in the bone may be a bit harder to take care of. Don't let it wait too long. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed and sending positive vibes your way. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

Me too Lucy, how are you, I've been thinking about your bite. I hope you are feeling better, and the swelling is going down.
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Lucy, maybe ask the doctor about soaking it in an epson alt bath too. I hope it is feeling a lot better.

I'm glad Curtis is home and feeling better, but tell him never ever do thatto Mommy again!!

Take care
Debbie

New Topic Post Reply