WARNING! Pet Food Maker Menu Foods Announces Major Recall!!

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

LucyGoose

WARNING! Pet Food Maker Menu Foods Announces Major Recall!!

Post by LucyGoose »

Menu Foods, a major manufacturer of dog and cat food sold under Wal-Mart, Safeway, Kroger and other store brands recalled 60 million containers of wet pet food Friday after reports of kidney failure and deaths. Please read the complete story here: http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=2958034

They don't have a list of all of the brand names yet. That should be published on their website http://www.menufoods.com/recall/ on Saturday, March 19. If you have questions you can also call them at (800) 551-7392. At this time their website seems to be down, probably because of extremely heavy traffic.

Keep a close eye on their website to make sure the food you currently have in your cupboard is or is not one of the brands impacted. It can mean life or death for your pets.
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Wow! I had just read the story on MSN & was coming here to post about it. Scary thought.

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

DH was just reading about it in the paper. Fortunately we don't have any of that kind in our home and I sure hope everyone who has bought those brands stop using them before their pet is affected!! :(
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

:eek: I'm so shocked and glad to see that its all canned food since we only feed dry.
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

Same here only dry food, thank goodness!! I really feel for those pet owners who lost their pets. Oh I would raise a ruckus :evil:

Here is a link to the brand names...

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_dog.html
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Thanks for that list of names, Annie....Wow, I had just bought Iams puppy food in the dry and then learned of this....There are a lot of canned brands aren't there.....All I can do is shake my head....wow...lucky it isn't me...
Annie

Post by Annie »

I thought this was only for dog food. I just saw the news and they said dog AND cat food :eek:
But there again I only feed dry.
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Post by Pandora »

I was just watching Fox 8 News and they said that Menu Foods wanted to test the food, so they used 50 cats and dogs and yep 6 died!!!!

What the heck kind of company would hear reports of dying pets and then purposefully feed it to more animals!!!!!!!
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Pandora wrote: What the heck kind of company would hear reports of dying pets and then purposefully feed it to more animals!!!!!!!
I know!!! :evil:
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

OC was just getting ready to post this

Post by oldcoot »

:-? :-? :-? but then you guys already saw it. MSN's Internet page listed a few of the brands. Money saving yahoos. (OC wanted to call them something else, but in deference to he Ladies OC backed off)

Another interesting statement ion that article today said this about the number of Pets in the US:

As of 2005/2006, 69 million American households owned a pet, including 90.5 million cats and 74 million dogs, according to the American Pet Products Manufacturers Association (APPMA).

Still more cats than dogs, but seems there are a lot of 2 cat families.....

Today they said several people have already entered lawsuits.

Thanks everybody fcor posting.........
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Post by Pandora »

I guessed it was rat poison from the very beginning.

ALBANY, N.Y. (March 23) - Rat poison has been found in pet food blamed for the deaths of at least 16 cats and dogs, a spokeswoman for the State Department of Agriculture and Markets said Friday.

Spokeswoman Jessica Chittenden would not identify the chemical or its source beyond saying it was a rodent poison.

The Food and Drug Administration has said the investigation was focusing on wheat gluten in the food. Wheat gluten itself would not cause kidney failure, but the common ingredient could have been contaminated by heavy metals or mold toxins, the FDA said.

State agriculture officials scheduled a news conference Friday afternoon to release laboratory findings from tests on the pet food conducted this week.

The deaths led to a recall of 60 million cans and pouches of pet food produced by Menu Foods and sold throughout North America under 95 brand names. There have been several reports of kidney failure in pets that ate the recalled brands, and the company has confirmed the deaths of 15 cats and one dog.

Menu Foods last week recalled "cuts and gravy" style dog and cat food. The recall sparked concern among pet owners across North America. It includes food sold under store brands carried by Wal-Mart, Kroger, Safeway and other large retailers, as well as private labels such as Iams, Nutro and Eukanuba.

Menu Foods is majority owned by Menu Foods Income Fund of Streetsville. The company also makes foods for zoo cats, but those products are unaffected by the recall.

The company's chief executive and president said Menu Foods delayed announcing the recall until it could confirm that the animals had eaten its product before dying. Two earlier complaints from consumers whose cats had died involved animals that lived outside or had access to a garage, which left open the possibility they had been poisoned by something other than contaminated food, he said.

A spokesman for New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo said he was not aware of any criminal investigation involving the tainted food.

A complete list of the recalled products along with product codes, descriptions and production dates was posted online by Menu Foods and is available at http://tinyurl.com/2pn6mm. The company also designated two phone numbers that pet owners could call for information: (866) 463-6738 and (866) 895-2708.
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

When I saw that today on MSN it turned my stomach. I feel so bad for the animals that suffered from this. :evil:

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I am and have been beside myself with this whole thing! I wasn't overly worried as I used Alpo for Ash's wet food and that wasn't on the recall list until Sat or Sun. But to be safe, I cut him off from it. I also quit giving him dry dog food and making homemade.. Yes I am paranoid.. but would you chance it with your children? Anyhow.. this am I was searching for more recipes and have found we have a Goosey imposter on the net!
http://www.i-love-dogs.com/dog-food-rec ... n-Fix.html

Does anyone make their own dogfood? Can anyone share recipes?
~Dusty~
- ô¿ô -

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:o Loosey-Goosey Chicken Fix :o

:lol: :lol:

Now I am going to go look at the site better...:lol:
Annie

Post by Annie »

I also heard that some dry dogfood (or) catfood may be messed up too.

~~Annie~~
New Topic Post Reply