Meet our newest pet :)

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Meet our newest pet :)

Post by doublemom2 »

These guys are so cool! I took my daughter to the pet store to ask questions about bearded dragons, and I had told her I just could not handle having crickets in the house. She finally said ok, no bearded dragon, when this gorgeous hunk of a lizard popped his head out to say hello :D (The plain brown one in the background is another variety, we're going for the bright yellow ones)

He's a Uromastyx benti, or Rainbow Uromasyx (Spike tail lizard). They get about 14-16" long and they are vegetarians - - - YES! So... We're going to get that gorgeous yellow big guy and one of the smaller females. The pet store is holding them for us for a few days until we get their terrarium set up at home. They need heat lamps (basking temp is 120 degrees) and UVA/B bulbs, rocky areas to hide in, all that jazz...

I'm excited to add these guys to our zoo. I had little lizards as pets when I was a kid, but these are definitely a step up from the little guys I used to have back then.

Isn't he handsome?
Anyone want to suggest a name, either for the big guy or a female or as a pair?

Andi
Attachments
Uro2.jpg
Uro1.jpg
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

Those are cool! Me and my sister were looking at them the other day!
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
putnamgardens

Post by putnamgardens »

But....do they eat banana slugs? Later, Love, Lisa
Attachments
jurRUSTICpark.jpg
jurRUSTICpark.jpg (38.96 KiB) Viewed 1308 times
Have I mentioned lately that my drinking team has a hosta problem?
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Way too :cool: !!
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Oh man - they realy are way cool! I am going to show the photos to the boys when they wake up.

Names... I think he kind of looks like a "Moe". :lol: :lol: :lol: He has the same eyes as Moe Howard of the Three Stooges fame! :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

Those are very cool! My daughter has a lizard and he eats vegetables too.
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
Kas

Post by Kas »

I was thinking Reginald and Penelope or something like that. Maybe Oswald. Heck, I don't know. How much longer until you can take them home? My week has been so crazy and Ray Reid will be at 6th grade camp all of next week. We will have to come over after that.

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

Thanks everyone... Tori has asked us to quit suggesting names to her, she says it'll just happen when it happens and something will pop up one day that will work LOL!

We're only going to be getting the one big guy... from reading and talking to people they can get along great for years and then rip into a huge fight and try to kill eachother, especially during mating season, so we're going to stick with one. They're solitary in their natural environment anyway.

We're getting the vivarium set up and trying to get the temps correct, so far with three different combinations of heat and light we haven't gotten it right just yet. It has to be pretty precise for these lizards to be comfy :o :cool:

So, we should be getting him next Wednesday, and I'll be sure to post more photos when he's home. I'm pretty excited, he's sure unique!

Andi

p.s. Kas - come over any time! But if you come here then it's Tori's turn to get the chocolate, ok?
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
mommatina
USDA Zone: 5

Post by mommatina »

You will love these guys.. we had one a couple years age.. very easy to take care of .. just do a little research.. ours was Pharaoh, because they look so ancient... they love dandalions and colt's foot.. so in the spring we couldn't wait to see the colt's foot in bloom.. they will eat lots of flowers... we would hand feed him.. we gave him to a friend and I sure miss him...sorry for the ramble.. just brought back memories...
http://mccomaswv.com/Beartown/beartown_wv.htm
Tina
Challenges make you discover things about yourself that you never really knew.
New Topic Post Reply