Grandogs

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

Linda P

Grandogs

Post by Linda P »

Hello, everyone! I haven't been around the pet forum a whole lot since I lost Dolly. I just had to come in and share a few pics of the grandogs who have been here for two weeks, and will be here another 5 days.
George is a Sheltie, a half-brother to Dolly, and is good as gold. He is just the best boy. I would keep him forever if I could. I got an 'art shot' of him today, accidentally. He kept walking towards the sun when I was trying to get his pic, and I ended up with a rainbow of light around him. I thought it was kind of cool. I'll really miss him when he's gone. He's stayed with me many times, and is never any problem.
Sammie is another story altogether. She's a Beagle/Fox Terrier mix; her parents are both pedigreed dogs. She's cute as can be, which is fortunate for her, because she's also the naughtiest little pup I've had to deal with in a while. She will overlook every chew toy she has in order to shred anything in the house. The sofa, the rug, my good garden shoes (somehow she got out of the kennel when I was gone yesterday..an escape artist too?), the legs on my chairs, anything she can get her little teeth on.
I walk her 4 or 5 times a day, several trips each around my two acres, and then up and down around all the garden beds. She refuses to do her business on a leash, and I can't let her off it. She doesn't come when she's called. She's about 8 months old, and when she's at home she is completely housebroken. DS has a fenced-in yard so he can just turn her out and let her run. She comes to get me for her walk...after she has gone on the paper in the bathroom. If I'm lucky, I can catch her a couple times a day and get her outside. I have to kennel her whenever I leave the house, and then she bays like a hound on the trail. She's fine in the kennel if I'm in the house, and there are days (like today) that I should have put her in it. She was busy shredding a pillow while I was resizing the pics. That's a new one..she hasn't bothered the pillows before.
It's so funny to watch her at the automatic waterer. She has to sneak up on it every time she wants a drink, and then she sticks out her tongue, all the while remaining as far away from it as she can get. She will keep taking little sips until a bubble comes out, and then she runs in the other room. She's finally getting a little braver with it, so about the time she has it all figured out, she'll be heading home. I know one thing...as cute as she is, this old grandma isn't going to keep her again! She's a city dog, and is spooked by everything out here in the country, though she is just now getting used to all that too. She does really well on the leash, and she knows sit (which she is demonstrating in the pic) but boy, am I tired! I think she could give Travis a run for his money!
Linda P
Attachments
Sammie sit July 5 07.JPG
Sammie July 5 07.JPG
George July 5 07.JPG
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

:eek: I'd be exhausted from all that! And you have 5 more days of it! :o

You poor woman! You'll need a vacation when they are gone! :lol:

But I love that first pic! He's so showered in sunrays! Sweet! :D

The others look like Travis' pics! You're right! Ready for ACTION! :lol:
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Rookie_Green_Thumb

Post by Rookie_Green_Thumb »

That pic of George is too cool! George is quite the looker too. I have a soft spot for Shelties. just love them!

And that Sammie 'looks' like a bundle of energy and trouble! She is cute though :lol:
Jaime
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Awwww, I love that picure of George! I got to meet the both of them while we were at Linda's....George is a sweet thing.....scared of us strangers, but I got a little petting in....., You can tell he is a good boy......as for the pup, I got to see him for a minute....cute, but busy, busy....you can tell....:lol:

Thanks for sharing Linda!! :D
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Great pics! Sammie does look ornery. So you don't have to go with her on a leash, get a long very (30-40 ft.) lightweight but strong piece of cotton cord...like clothesline cord...or even a little lighter since she isn't very big. Tie a swivel snap ring on the end and hook it to her collar, making sure her collar is on tight enough she can't slip out of it. Hold on to it for a few minutes when you guys first go outside so she thinks you have ahold of her, then after that you can drop it and just let her drag it around. She'll think you've still got her and if she starts getting out too far you can just grab the end again. Should be okay if you live far enough away from roads and stuff that you can catch her quickly enough. You can just sit on the porch!

It is one way we used when training our dogs not to get too far away from us...they don't quite know how long the rope is...
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Hi, Charla,
I don't mind walking her, and if she was my dog I would definitely do something on that order. I'm really close to a gravel road that is heavily travelled by people going way too fast. I know she does okay at home with her fenced in yard. She's so fast and strong, and I'm, ah, well, not either anymore! :lol:
Hey, Kathleen, I forgot that you had the chance to meet her. She is a pretty little thing, but you're right. Busy, busy, busy!
Linda P

My Hosta List
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Aww they both look so cute!!!!

Sammy sounds very familar :lol:
I doubt that she is onry......hehe
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Cool pictue of George!! They're both gorgeous doggies. :)
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

"Beagle/Fox Terrier mix" All that destruction means that busy dog needs a job. Both those breeds are trouble if they aren't kept busy. :)
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

I met George and Sammie too. George is so sweet and Sammie is as cute as a button. Great pics Linda. :D I love the one of George. :cool:
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

The house is quiet! The pups went home late yesterday.
A funny note...DS was giving me all these tips over the phone, all of which I had already tried to no avail.
He was sure she would go outside for him. He finally came to the same conclusion that I did.... she doesn't care to do her business on a leash, and there are just TOO MANY good things to smell out there! I'm sure she'll be fine when she gets back home and into her regular routine.
She was ready to hop into her kennel for the ride home, but George had a little trouble at first deciding whether to go or stay. He stood by the door, looking at DS, looking at me. Finally he dashed through the door and pranced out to the car, ready to load up and head for home.
Spider, you are so right about Sammie needing a job! She's just a pup, and way too full of energy for this old grandma. I walked her a lot, but she needed to get off the leash and run around, not possible in my big yard right close to a gravel road. She came to understand that when we were walking quickly for excersize, she wasn't supposed to have her nose to the ground. Then I would give her a chance to sniff around and follow the bunny trails later. It didn't take her long to learn the routine.
Linda P

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply