Willie's Beginning Agility (updated with pictures)

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Sis, what your doing with the pet food lid is called target training. It's the foundation for guiding the dog into doing what you want.
As with ANY training, don't over work it. Your much better off doing it 4-5 times each training session. Then do that 4, 5, 6 times a day. When your watching tv, do a couple during commercials. Short and sweet.That's all it takes!
When you keep doing something to long, the dog will get bored and the whole training session is wasted. Always stop when Willie is really wanting to do it again.
Old dog training philosophy; "Frustration builds drive".

BTW, the color of the lid is for your benifit. Doesn't really matter to the dog as long as your consistant and use the same thing all the time.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Thanks!

Hey Bro....I knew the part of just doing it for short amounts of time, and I am doing that.....I quit before he quits.....but, when I asked if there is a name to it, she said not yet.....but I think Willie is ready to have a name to it.....what is that, do you know? Is it just what you want it to be, like *touch* or do I have to wait till monday when we go back..... :lol: That is prolly what I should do.... :lol: Oh, and he is touching it with his toe now.....but I don't click for that.....sure is cute, though..... :lol:

Thanks!! :wink:
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

In traditional dog training you are trying to teach to many things all at once. For instance, "SIT" YOu giving a command/lifting on the dogs with the collar and often times pushing down on the rear.
With motivational training one of the ways (what your doing) is target training. You first teach the behaviour by using oportunistic training. When the dog touches the target, you mark and reward. NO pressure, no force!
Once the dog becomes really good at understanding targeting you can use that to guide the dog into any behaviour you want it to do.
You'll find the targeting very important when you start doing the different obsticals.
Example; The A-frame. If you just teach the dog to go over it, often times they will come down to fast and jump off before they hit bottom. Not only is that hard on the dog's shoulders it also causes them to miss the contact points and loose points on the score. By targeting you teach the dog how to make contact at the bottom and not jump off.
Breaking EVERY exercise into as many different movements will make the dog much more solid in it's understanding. Once all the little things are taught and you start putting them together you'll be suprised how well the dog will be doing.
Quit worring about putting names on things and listen to your instructor. :evil: :lol: :wink:
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Old earth dog wrote: Quit worring about putting names on things and listen to your instructor. :evil: :lol: :wink:
:x ... :lol: ... :lol:

Thanks Bro!! :wink:
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

So the ? remains dear LG? Do they charge extra for an overZealous trainer such as yourself, or are you the entertainment for the instructors? :lol: :wink:

I can hear your words and your expressions while I read it! You sound like you are both growing together! Soon, he'll do things before you know you want him to! :D Too cute! A match made in heaven! :D
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

wishiwere wrote:So the ? remains dear LG? Do they charge extra for an overZealous trainer such as yourself, or are you the entertainment for the instructors? :lol: :wink:

:evil:...:evil:...:lol: :lol:
I can hear your words and your expressions while I read it! You sound like you are both growing together! Soon, he'll do things before you know you want him to! :D Too cute! A match made in heaven! :D

Thanks!! :P
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Okay, it's been awhile, and I can't believe that the beginning class is just about over....This next monday is the 8th class.....(Willie's 7th, cause we missed that first one).....This class is staying together, if you want to continue on, and YES MAME this boy and I are!! :lol: We just now will be the advanced beginner class.....Last monday was our first sequence.....we had the tunnel, a jump, then the table .....I am telling you, Willie is doing GREAT!!! It is sooooo much fun!! I call Bro after each class, too..... :lol: I just have to get used to the small dog syndrome!! :lol: Barking, and more barking , and barking.....lunging at the other dogs if/when they run.....Lord, I am so pooped when we are done..... :lol: But it still is fun, and I can't wait to do more.....I think Willie will be great if he doesn't kill me first..... :lol: My parents came out to watch last week...(he was worst than normal, too....wouldn't you know.....:lol:) and Dad took a few pictures..... :P
Attachments
Agility 3.jpg
Agility 2.jpg
Agility.jpg
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:cool:
Attachments
Agility 4.jpg
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

He doesn't look tired at all LG! :lol:

But uhm....does he always turn his back the instructor? :roll: Maybe he just doesn't like listening to 2 of you hey? What a sweetie! I can't wait to see him this summer! You too of course! :D
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:lol: Jane! The instructor is the one in the green in the second picture.... then the other trainer is the one next to the A frame in the last one.....He may look sweet, but he is a yappy thing..... :lol:

Can't wait to see you either!!! 8-)
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Yeah, I was looking at the first picture. Where he's turned back and looking like, "This is old, I already know it!"

IT's coming fast....august it! One way or another I'm coming, even if I have to hitchhike! :D
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

That looks like such fun! But I'd be exhausted, too! :lol:

I like the last pic, where you are kneeling by the ramp and Willie is looking at you like he's waiting for his next command. So cute!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Actually Jane....when I am kneeling down it's because he is being loud/yappy/ornery.....and then I have to be low to squeeze his nose and say **QUIET** in his face.....when the instructor isn't looking of course..... :lol: :lol: :lol: .....I love that boy!!!! :lol: :lol:
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Ahh, LG how could you not love that face :D Hang in there! He is learning :lol: :lol: Little cutie pie :lol:

Ginger
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Great pics, LG! Glad you two are having fun with it! :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
ladyblue
USDA Zone: 5B

Post by ladyblue »

I love watching the two of you progressing in your classes!!
I hope to see Willie this summer too!!
Bonnie Oh and you too!!! :lol:
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Lucy,,,,,,,,squeeze his nose? ROTFLMBO......he's not a squeak toy! :lol: :lol: Though he is as cute as a bug's ear...... :lol:

Debbie

New Topic Post Reply