look what the son drug home.......

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

petal*pusher

look what the son drug home.......

Post by petal*pusher »

Just a few months ago...we talked about getting a cat/kitten to keep our lonely cat company! We decided if we were supposed to have one...it would show up!

My son works at a garden center nearby...one morning last week, he found this kitten wedged down INSIDE the seat of the golf-cart he uses daily. He's such a cutie! (and I swore I'd never have a male cat!)

I don't remember seeing a tiger cat with SPOTS instead of STRIPES!

We looked up "spotted tabby" and found out this may be an "ocicat".....kind of an unusual little fella! His personality is wonderful...he "talks" all the time and has almost human inflections in his voice. The vet said he's healthy....no fleas, ticks, or worms...so we sure don't know how he got there!

He's surely adopted us...other cat is doing fine with him...and named him Oliver!.......Pam :wink:
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

He is so pretty!! Lucky you have him! :P
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

He's gorgeous! There are several cat breeds that have the spots instead of the stripes, Ocicat being one and I think Bengals is another. My daughter would know, she's a walking cat encyclopedia.

As for males, we've had both genders, and I have to say that our current two boys, both solid black males, are by FAR the friendliest, most affectionate, loving and well-trained cats we've ever had. All the females we've had have been feisty little princesses :o .

Oliver sounds like he's going to be like Monkey, who talks up a storm, and definitely knows how to get his point across. If he's going to be an indoor kitty, can I make a suggestion to try to get him used to using a harness and leash now while he's still young? We take Monkey on daily walks, weather permitting, and it also makes it much easier when we take him to the vet or wherever to have him on a leash. We just got a small (or extra-small?) dog harness and leash, and he does great with them. The little turkey runs to the door and begs to go out every time he sees his leash. Its harder to leash train them as they get older.

Congrats to Oliver for picking a great home, looks like he's made himself right at home!

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

What an adorable little kitten :)

I've had both male and female cats and each has had good personalities. Some of the females have been very loving, but so have the males. What I have noticed is that the males seem more possessive of one owner, at least in my experience having 5 male cats over the years.

Just be sure to get him fixed before he starts spraying, and then be tough in training him not to spray in the house. Cats can learn as well as dogs can if you start early (in my opinion).

Looks like a winner :D

Chris
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

Wow, is he ever beautiful!!! I'm glad he found you! :)
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I love the markings on that lil guy! Too cute!
I use to swear I'd never have a male dog.. then I got Kudo... now he's gone but I have his brother and we added Max.. It's all boy's here now! :lol:
~Dusty~
- ô¿ô -

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."
Garden_of_Mu
USDA Zone: 7

Post by Garden_of_Mu »

Oliver is just adorable. Thanks for the pic!
~ Mike

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t
matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Theodore Geisel, aka Dr.
Seuss
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I didn't look at this post last time I visited the forum, cuz I was eating my lunch while browsing and was worried that what the son drug home was a dead groundhog or something! :lol:

Much to my surprise today, it was a beautiful little Oliver!

How precious and what a beautiful coat he has! I hope you'll keep us updated as he grows.

Congratulations! Looks like a good 'en!!! :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Awww...Oliver is very handsome!! Thank you so much for taking him into your home and giving him a loving place to live. I'm sure he's going to be a great addition to your family! :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Muffy
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Muffy »

He is cute! Looks at home already on someones lap too!
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

Very pretty kitty! Any chance he plays in water?
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Wow, he is very handsome. Glad that he found you! Good luck and all the best. :D
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Wow, is he ever beautiful! I have never seen a cat marked like that before.

We have a male cat and we got wilbur fixed at six months before he started spraying.He is very friendly and he thinks he's a dog. :lol:

I tried the harness thingy,,,but he got out of it.little brat! :lol:

Debbie

nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Re: look what the son drug home.......

Post by nanny_56 »

Wow! Oliver is gogeous!!
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
bengal

Post by bengal »

What a beauty!

Describe his belly for me, will you? And his paw pads -- what color are they?
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Such a fun kitten this little guy is!! I'll try to get some new pics posted tomorrow.

His belly is lighter with lots of spots too! We think his short, short fur seems to be getting a little more silver than brown now....and SPOTS! Spots are a neat little pattern all over! There seems to bands of color on each hair. His foot pads are black.

He seems to crave our attention...under foot all the time. He's just so friendly...and is constantly talking to us. Our other cat (remember me talking about this strange-looking Humane Society cat that adopted us a few years ago??) has completely accepted him...and plays with him...often holds him down to clean 'im up!

We love how he prances around carrying cat-toys. He hears every little noise, and runs to see who's coming in the door like he's our guard-cat! Where the heck did he come from??....................p :wink:
bengal

Post by bengal »

Light spotted belly.....black paw pads....short, short fur....craving attention and under foot all the time....the talking, the constant, constant talking :lol: ....runs to the door (ie, curious)....

He sounds like a bengal to me.

And if I'm right, that means that you're really in for it now. :lol: :lol: :lol: Be prepared for years of a four-legged two-year-old dominating your house, your life, your time. :lol:

You're going to have a blast.

Here are my guys. Suri is a marble bengal. Show-quality. (The three categories are pet quality, breeder, and show.) My plan had been to get two pet-quality kittens, but, as I was sitting crosslegged, watching the kits, this little guy toddles over, clambers up into my lap, and proceeds to stare me in the face with his stunning kitten's blue eyes. So what else could I do? I had to get him. :D I had Suri in mind when I referred to the two-year-olds. They're ....what?....going on six, but he still acts like a kitten!

Minu OTOH is the mellow guy -- all 23+ pounds of him. He's what's known as a BST (brown-spotted tabby). He is definitely pet quality, as he was born with a congenital fault (a dip in his spine just behind his shoulder blades that would have disqualified him from the show ring) + he has a dipped nose, instead of the desirable roman nose that I believe is considered part of the breed standard. His brother OTOH, and a close Minu lookalike (but without the faults obviously), was the first ever fifth-generation supreme grand champion bengal in the world (meaning, he, his mother, mother's mother, and back 5 generations were all SGCs).

Anyway, no bragging as Minu is 100% pet. :D
Attachments
suri July 2005 (Small).jpg
suri July 2005 (Small).jpg (42.97 KiB) Viewed 3439 times
august 2006 014 (Small).jpg
august 2006 014 (Small).jpg (33.94 KiB) Viewed 3440 times
07 daylilies 019 (Small).jpg
07 daylilies 019 (Small).jpg (45.54 KiB) Viewed 3438 times
Minu 077 (Small).jpg
Watching Animal Planet.jpg
Watching Animal Planet.jpg (52.84 KiB) Viewed 3439 times
bengal

Post by bengal »

More....as he loses his kitten fur, he should (if he's a bengal) get a very soft coat, called a "pelt." And his spots should become clearer. Also, note the sheen to Minu's fur in the last pic I posted. Here are a few more pics to show you what I mean:
Attachments
Suri's shiny coat.jpg
Suri's shiny coat.jpg (49.46 KiB) Viewed 3435 times
Minu's shiny coat.jpg
Minu's shiny coat.jpg (51.21 KiB) Viewed 3434 times
bengal

Post by bengal »

And one more thought.... :D

I took another look at your kit's pic. The bengal coat and pattern become clear as they lose their kitten fur (the grey fuzzies :lol: ). So, unless you're an expert, a judge or breeder or whatever (and those things I definitely ain't :D ), it can be very hard to tell what the coat of the maturing cat will look like. But, and this is my opinion only, it looks to me as if your kit will have some very cool rosettes.

Oh yeah, and he will outgrow those bat ears of his. :lol:

And don't forget, seeing as how you said he's a he....he needs to get fixed young. I was told that bengals reach sexual maturity earlier than some (many? all?) breeds. I had my guys fixed as early as the vet said was OK.

And, if he's a bengal, a definite two thumbs up to the fact you have another cat. This breed is very social and sociable, and bengals crave companionship. There was no doubt in my mind that I needed to get two bengals, or at least another very active breed (like an Abyssinian) as a companion.
bengal

Post by bengal »

We have a male cat and we got wilbur fixed at six months

Jeez, aren't I the gabby one today. :lol: If he is in fact a bengal, six months would be considered late. I'd have to dig up the vet records, but I think my guys were fixed at four months.
New Topic Post Reply