Hedge Hog

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

Muffy
USDA Zone: 5

Hedge Hog

Post by Muffy »

Well we bought her yesterday for $20 at a petshop. Someone brought her in and the owner of the shop knew nothing about her but we love this hedge hog to pieces. She seems friendly enough but I am going to wait about a week before attempting to hold her. She seems interested in everything! Including us...LOL. Her name is Snicketts. In these pics she was in her temp home but now she's happy in her big cage with tons of shredded newspaper and her shoebox house! LOL. We have no idea how old she is either. But that doesn't matter...she's here with us til the end.

In joy or sadness, flowers are our constant friends.
- Kozuko Okakura
~~Bev~~
Annie

Re: Hedge Hog

Post by Annie »

I wanna see a picture of you holding her Bev :lol:
I love her lil face! She is cute!!
Give her a kiss on the back of the head for me :)
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Muffy

Post by Muffy »

Give me a week & I might post one... :lol: :lol:
- Kozuko Okakura
~~Bev~~
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

I thought "hedge hog" was just another name for woodchuck... then I saw the photo and thought you had a porcupine! lol!

Wow -- how do you know how to take care of it? and how big does it get? and are those "spines"? and are they sharp? lol!
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
Muffy

Post by Muffy »

They can weigh up to a lb. in captivity. They need a high protein diet like high protein kitten chow and plus they love mealworms, worms & crickets for snacks. Yep those are spines and are sharp. But they can be held if done correctly. Scoop them up from the front...I have never held one before but my times a coming to do so...LOL. I have read alot about them on the net....I learned alot there!
- Kozuko Okakura
~~Bev~~
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

Isn't the net GREAT for that?! it makes reference books obsolete -- if you can believe whatever you read out here. lol!

I hope she likes her new home and makes a great pet. :)
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

uMMM someone brought her in? As in caught her in the wild and brought her into the store?

She is cute... *S*

Debbie

Muffy

Post by Muffy »

Oh no! She was a family pet. Must have gotten tired of having her or maybe a Mom didn't want to take care of her daughter's pet anymore. All we know is the petshop owner said the hedgehog was a little girls pet.
And I do read alot on the net about stuff. Whenever me or Annie get something new....animal, plant or whatever...off to the net we go....her at her house & me at mine....LOL. And most stuff I believe and a few things I don't. I have been letting her smell my hands alot. Trying to get her used to my scent. She doesn't seem aggresive tho but she has teeth....Sharp shiny teeth. Hmmm... I'll hold her very soon tho...
We are trying to teach her to drink from a water bottle tho. She must have never used one before. All I know is a bowl is very messy when it comes to cleaning her cage in the mornings. A wet ball of paper in the waterbowl corner... :lol: I don't mind tho. She gives me something to do & to watch.
- Kozuko Okakura
~~Bev~~
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

Yay!!!! Another exotic pet to go along with my three lizards LOL! There is a TON of good info out there on the Net, but unfortunately a lot of bad info also. Some of the forums are great places, and it's fairly easy after reading for a while to figure out who knows their stuff and who does not. That's how it is for the lizard forums that I belong to, there are definitely a group of experts to take the time to help out newbies and are full of good advice.

So.... how large a cage do they need? Do they need any supplemental heat or light, or just room temp? How often do they eat? Do they interact with you at all, or do they tend to be shy and hide when they see people? I wonder how one would get along with my cats.... Hmmmmm..... (Can you see the wheels turning in my head?!?!?!) I can just picture my daughter Kara with a hedgehog, it's either that or a penguin, and I'm thinking a hedgehog would be easier. My other daughter is the one that got me into lizards. Oh, too fun!

More photos, please, when you have time. And congrats to your new family member, glad it found a home with a caring family who will take care of it and love it :)

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
Muffy

Post by Muffy »

Well she is in a large wire cage with plastic bottom. It's a big guinea pig cage. They don't like wires on their little feet. In cooler weather they can go into hibernation and that is deadly to them. They recomend a heat source in cold weather. That's ok tho cause my bearded dragon don't mind sharing one of hers... They eat a couple tablespoons of food a day. I feed mine Kitten Chow. they need lots of protein. They like crickets or mealworms as treats. She is very interested at everyone. I have her cage on my kitchen table ...just to get her used to people. She sniffed my hand already but I am going to give her a few days before trying to hold her. She does sleep alot thru the day but they are nocturnal. At night time she walks...or rather waddles sniffing around in her cage. My cats and dogs ignore her. They don't even realise she's here I think...LOL. If my daughter had a choice between a hedgehog or penguin...penguin would win :eek: ....LOLOL! Hedgehog fits my lifestyle. :lol: :lol: I will take lots of pics & post more soon.
Here is a decent site I been reading...
http://www.pogstarhedgehogs.com/basiccare.html
- Kozuko Okakura
~~Bev~~
Kas

Post by Kas »

Andi, there is a breeder in Tacoma. I googled hedgehogs after the first post and her "kennel" if you will, is called Kimwana Tiggy Winkles or whatever that hedgehog from Beatrix Potter was named. Ok. Now I gotta go look it up again!

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

Oh, Kathy... don't get me started!!! You KNOW this is exactly something that I would end up doing, right?

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
Kas

Post by Kas »

But Andi, you are going to have so much more room in the new house! Hedgies need it 70+ degrees, so you already have practice with all that. I checked and I was correct in the breeder's name. They come in so many color varieties and let you hold them. In fact, you are supposed to hold them every day so they like you. I think it is right up your alley! More fun than a bunch of fish.

I broke another toe, so I don't think I am going to be able to dig. :bawl: :bawl: I parted my foot on the corner by the office. It is black and swollen, so I think it is probably not just jammed. Hurt like a you know what! :evil: It is my right pinky toe and the one next to it is all skinned and black as well. This just really sucks because I am supposed to be helping with the deconstruct in the next week or so and packing and moving stuff. It hurts to bend my toes forward. Just got to do it anyway.

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Well isn't that the most cunning little baby! She lookds so sweet :)

Good luck with her and I am eager to see more photos....

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Well , that is just the cutest thing!!

I know after Buddy is gone, I don't want another dog. Cats are a no-no with DH's allergies/asthma. So something small that is confined and doesn't need to walked in the cold would be perfect! Will have keep that in mind.

Andi, I see you with one of these!!
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Annie

Post by Annie »

They are cute but.........they poke!!! You want to know HOW I know :lol: :lol:
One got me at the pet store. I was petting it with the the points, and he jumped hehe. It hurt! Made me bleed too, I was wounded!!!

I won't hold them :) I'm a chicken hehe. Give me a big ole dog any day over one of those pokie spiny critters :lol:
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Muffy

Post by Muffy »

Well....i tried just petting her yesterday. She huffed at me & kind of hissed and stayed rolled up in a ball. But she does come out when I just talk to her. I'm thinking maybe she may not be handable...Is This A Word? LOL..
But...I'm going to keep trying. Don't want to push her or scare her...you know?
- Kozuko Okakura
~~Bev~~
Annie

Post by Annie »

Well for heavens sake just pick her up and give her a big ole hug :lol: :lol:
Don't worry she won't stick you :-?

~~Annie~~
Muffy

Post by Muffy »

Hey Annie! I'll let you hug her when you get here...HAHA!!!
- Kozuko Okakura
~~Bev~~
Muffy

Re: Hedge Hog **UPDATE**

Post by Muffy »

Well our little hedgehog, Snickett passed away. We got up and my daughter found her dead in her cage. Not sure what was wrong. She never even acted sick. She ate good & drank. Was slow but active. I think she was old. Just wanted to let you all know.
- Kozuko Okakura
~~Bev~~
New Topic Post Reply