I'm going tonight to go pick out my babies

Use this area to talk about your pets!

Moderator: Chris_W

Tundra_Queen

I'm going tonight to go pick out my babies

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Hi

Well after a lot of jumping thru hoops I have been allowed to adopt some kittens. I will explain it all after I get the kittens home.

I am going tonight to go pick out the babies and I will probably be coming home with two! LOL I just hope I pick out the right ones and that they are nice and friendly and don't bite! LOL Wilbur still bites, but just not very often.

Wish me luck and send good thoughts my way so I pick the right kittens.

Debbie

Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Re: I'm going tonight to go pick out my babies

Post by Annie »

Oh you can't go wrong :)

Sure you don't want 3,4,5 etc??? :lol:

Can't wait to see which ones you get, be sure to post picturers!!!
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Excited to see new kitten portraits posted!

The little fella my son brought home stayed for almost a week in the big bathroom before introducing to the other cat...vet said to keep food/water dishes and litter pan seperate for that first week.

Wilbur's nose will be bent out of joint for a little while, but once he knows they're there to stay...he'll accept! I do worry about the rambunctiousness (whew! did I spell that right?! :-? ) of our kitten with the older cat...she sure puts up with a lot...but I see her playing and cleaning him!

Anxious to hear how you do!........p :)
I have been gardening as long as I can remember! After 25 years as florist, changed careers to teach in Ornamental Horticulture class at a vocational school. Been there almost 22 yrs......always learning.....always learning.....always learning.....
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Oh Cool, Debbie......I agree to keep them away from Wilbur for a while......at least they will have each other and they won't care about being, lets just say, the bathroom.....shoot....it took Curtis 6 months till he came around when Willie was out.....as soon as the kennel door shut for the night, Curtis came out..... :lol: .....so just give him time....he will come around.....

Can't wait to see the babies, either..... :cool:
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Bless you Debbie for adopting some kittens! I can't wait to see pics of them. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

How fun!! Waiting for pictures . . . .

:D
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

When we headed out to get one or two new kitties (we went for adults because we figured they 'd need us the most), we came home with FOUR! I hope you're as lucky as we are -- and I hope you let the kittens PICK YOU! :lol:
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Hi everyone *waving*

Has it really just been ONE day? :lol: I be exhausted!

Ok, to catch u up. The rescue was giving me a hard time because Gary and I are visually impaired. First they wanted 2 references,,that was no problem. Then they wrote saying because we were visually impaired they didn't know if we could look after animals. Um duh! Then they said that they wanted 4 references and a home visit. Well I had no problem with the home visit part. But my first two references was a friend and our vet! which is the agency's vet. So i wrote back telling them that i didn't know what 2 more references were going to do if they didn't even think the vet was good enough. They also wanted the name and phone # of our home worker who helps us out. I told them we didn't have a home worker or any help, cause we didn't qualified, which means one wasn't needed. geezeee

They were worried that we wouldn't notice if the kittens got outside. They also said that people on the committee knew our situation and were worried. I told them that if the persons "really" knew our situation they would know that I have sight and have had animals for years. I kept telling her that if she would come over to the house I would show her how Gary goes out the door without the cat getting out..(well most of the time, but I think that happens to everyone once in a while. *L*) I also told her she was biased about people with low vision, even though people see me walking around town without any help.I did tell her how we maange with wilbur etc. *ugh* I was really upset and hurt. I said to Gary i haven't felt this crappy about being visually impaired since I went on a job interview way back when i lived in Toronto.

I also found out that they called our son and woke him up, he was on night shift. I guess they got his number out of the phone book cause I didn't give it to them. He was not happy and gave them heck for being predijuice against the "blind". And told them we have had animals all his life and were responsible pet owners.

Anywaysss...got another email saying the committe would allow us to adopt the kittens.

So I found a drive out to the country and went to pick up what I thought would be the lumberjack kittens....not! I was told when I got there that they were not ready yet and she had discussed it with the other lady and thought that the kittens would be too scared of being adopted into a house with another cat and big dog. I was very disappointed but I did get to hold them and they were so tiny and sweet.They were still not mixing with the other cats in the house and scared of a lot of things, so I believed what she was telling me and if was best for the kittens.

The lady had 3 other 3 month old kittens running around and bouncing off the walls :lol: and she said those were up for adoption. So I got Mirabelle, the femal calico, and Goatie (whose name will be changed to O'Shawnnessy,) black and white brother. I had to leave their brother Monty there though....couldn't afford another one. LOL

Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Ok, sorry about the rant.

The kittens are in the bathroom and have met Wilbur a couple of times with hissing growling and all that nasty stuff, so they are all still behind gates and doors. They haven't met Tegan yet.

The black and white one is very friendly and purrs his little face off. The female stays a lot of time in the crate unless I open the bathroom door so they have access to our bedroom still keeping the other animals out.

I tried to take pics of them,,,but do u know how fast kittens move? :lol: I forgot how fast they are! :eek: :lol:

Here are some pics, but they aren't very good. I'll try to get better ones in the next day or two. I've also included one of Wilbur.

I'm going to bed I'm tired. :lol:

Debbie
Attachments
O'SHAWNNESSEY SEPT 13.jpg
O'SHAWNNESSEY SEPT 13.jpg (25.89 KiB) Viewed 3066 times
Mirabelle AND O'SHAWNNESSY SEPT 13TH.jpg
Mirabelle AND O'SHAWNNESSY SEPT 13TH.jpg (44.49 KiB) Viewed 3064 times
WILBUR SEPT 13TH.jpg
Last edited by Tundra_Queen on Sep 14, 2008 4:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Sorry, I don't know why I get the same pic repeated. I still haven't figured out this new format I guess. And I can't figure out how to change the colour of my background so I can find the edit button. :lol:

Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

:-)
mirabelle is the one on the left
Attachments
Mirabelle AND O'SHAWNNESSY SEPT 13TH2.jpg
Mirabelle AND O'SHAWNNESSY SEPT 13TH2.jpg (39.79 KiB) Viewed 3053 times

petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

They are wonderful choices! You did good!

Bless, bless, bless you for making a positive difference in these little kittens lives! Wilbur (who is a mighty handsome fella himself...) will do fine with them. It just takes a week or so before they'll all be accepting of each other. You were smart to get the two who are already familiar with each other!

Positive vibes coming to your house!............Pam :D
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Oh Debbie....they are soooo cute!! What lucy kitties they are......sheesh, and all that crap for you guys to go through to get them.....just think that they are trying to do what is best for the babies, I guess......hey, you got them , and that's all that matters......Yippppeeeee!!! :lol: :lol:
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

They are so adorable! Sorry about the trouble you had to go through, but it looks like these new babies are going to settle in just fine, and I'm sure Wilbur will come around and tolerate them in time, and for now they have each other to keep themselves company :D
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Glad you finally got them Debbie. Ya know, I understand about making sure animals get good homes, but some of these folks take it way to far :evil: I mean they are not placing a human infant in a home, but then again, maybe they should be the ones to do so :lol: :lol: Anyway I am glad it worked out and I hope you enjoy your new family members... just watch out for those little needle teeth :eek: :lol: :lol:

Ginger
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Oh they are adorable!!! I love their names, too. :D

And thanks for the pic of Wilbur. He looks like the king of the castle in that picture. What a guy!

Sorry for the ordeal they put you through to get these. It doesn't make sense to me. If you and Gary can live alone, take care of yourselves, as well as a dog and a cat, doesn't that itself tell them that you are responsible and able to take care of a couple kittens?! Sheesh!! I hope when they reflect on this they will have a little twang of guilt and perhaps treat the next person they meet who has challenges, a little better than they treated you. We always like some good to come of these things.

Enjoy your new babies!!! I hope the house doesn't get TOO crazy as all the critters get acquainted. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Thanks everyone for your support!! It was upsetting at the time. But we have the fur babies now and they are wearing me out but they are still cute! :lol: The black and white one, O'shawnnessy, is a lovie dovie guy, he is absolutely adorable. Mirabelle doesn't come to visit me unless I have food. She still runs away, except she did walk up to wilbur and tegan on the other side of the baby gate and didn't growl. Where O'shawnnessy growls sometimes.

I took them to the vets today for their first needles and Mirabelle got away from the vet. She thought she was going to be staying close to me like O'shawnessy did. Nope! She was gone.....down the hall into a room or two with susan running after her saying COME BACK MIRABELLEEEEEE .....ROTFLMBO......it was so funny! LOLOL

They are back upstairs and sleeping... I wish I could say the same, but I now have to go to walmart to pick up more scratching posts.

I'm so tired... Lucy I should of listened to you. LOL

Mirabelle only weighs 3.5 lbs. O'Shawnnessy weighs 4lbs. They seem underweight if they are almost 4 months. I found out they are older than what I was first told, but they are so tiny. But maybe that is because I'm so use to looking at Wilbur. :lol:

Debbie.....sleep deprived.

LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Tundra_Queen wrote:I'm so tired... Lucy I should of listened to you. LOL

:lol: ... :lol: ... :lol: ... :lol: ... :lol:

:wink:
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

*sticking tongue out at Lucy* :lol:

well... i removed the baby gates and the kittens met willie...then they came downstairs...it went pretty well until mirabelle sniffed one of willie's mice and he ran after her. she didn't like that and hissed..he then just chased her. he didn't growl,,but she hissed. i'm not sure if he was ticked that she sniffed his mouse or he wanted to play like the 2 kittens do with each other. it was a surprise that she hissed as it is usually o'shawnnessy that does the growling...

i put them back in our bedroom and now i need a nap....maybe a drink THEN a nap. I have a splitting headache

but no one got bit so i guess it went ok? darn if i know..i know nothing about multi cat houses

Debbie...who is still sleep Deprived... :o

party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

Oh that Mirabelle is an absolute DOLL! I didn't know you already had a cat and dog, so I hope they do all adjust!

Don't take it too personally on the hassle they gave you re adopting pets. We had similar idiots give us a multi-day runaround too -- and we're "normal" clean-cut adult professionals. The clincher for us was mentioning that the previous stray cat I took in was estimated at 2-3 years old at the time, and I had her for 18.5 years. As soon as I said that we got "approved to adopt"! (in fact, that's when they tried to give us as many as they could convince us to take -- hence the four cats now :)

PS: O'S is good looking too, but I'm partial to females. lol!
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
New Topic Post Reply